SVS PC-2000 Subwoofer

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
After a short wait, the PC-2000 arrived at the door to replace a PB-1000 in a family member’s theater. No HT is complete without a subwoofer. PC-2000 offers a small footprint while still delivering serious bass.

Packaging
I do have a bit of a gripe. The subwoofer wasn’t double boxed and the foam inserts were much lighter and less than I recall with past shipments from SVS. The packaging should survive most shipping assaults, but would have been nice to see a bit more here.

A note, cylinder subwoofers are a bit more challenging to unbox than their box counterparts as it’s difficult to get a good grip so keep that in mind.

Build Quality
Build quality is excellent, as you would expect from SVS. It has been a while since I’ve seen an SVS cylinder so I may remember incorrectly, but I swear the cloth wrap on this model is much better than what I recall on previous models. Previous models almost felt like someone pulled some jeans over a wood cylinder whereas the cloth on this model feels very cohesive.

Connectivity
The SVS sports a pretty standard fare of knobs and inputs like most subwoofers. It does not have high level inputs so your receiver/preamp must have LFE out. One note I wish to point out, the newer SVS subwoofers feature a 12V trigger on the amp plate, which I really appreciate as I have often had challenges with subwoofers’ auto on feature when listening at low volumes and this eliminates that problem. Of course, one could always leave the subwoofer set to on, but not all subwoofers have a constant on setting.

Sound
Alright, so it’s built well and has everything needed to hook up to your theater; how does the darn thing sound? Typical SVS; very linear and stable no matter what volume you’re listening at. Push this thing and it sounds every bit as clean as listening down low. It certainly has more output than its predecessors, which shouldn’t be a surprise given it has a more efficient driver and more wattage. Perfectly at home when it comes to home theater duty and very high marks on its musical ability as well. I threw the usual test material at it such as War of the Worlds, Cloverfield, Diane Krall, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, and more; you completely forget about the subwoofer while watching or listening until a scene demands it, which represents exactly what you want from a subwoofer.

Conclusion
All in all, another solid option from SVS for those who need a small footprint and want a solid performing subwoofer. SVS subwoofers are not the final word in output above 25Hz, but make no mistake, they are no slouches and you can push them and they never lose their linear response or show signs of distress. The PC-2000 is no different.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Any chance of getting a picture of it in the room. I think a lot of people are uncertain about how the cylinders would look and fit into their decor (I know I am).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Why did you go the cylinder route as opposed to the box route for this sub? :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Cool! So I guess the driver is facing downward. Is the port on top?
If you can keep it tucked under the counter, It doesn't look like it hardly intrudes on the room!
Wondering if there are any placement concerns. I would guess if driver and ports are directed radially, there is no concern against being set against walls as long as you aren't surrounding it?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
3db, to answer your question, it's the only format that will fit where it will be installed. Thanks goodness SVS makes cylinders.

KEW, the driver is down firing and the port is on the back unlike the previous model so you can get away with tucking it in somewhere. I was testing it out in the corner under the counter and it sounded perfect in that location with the port firing into the corner.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
One caveat I forgot to mention, I used my own MRX310 so ARC was involved. Not sure a corner location under a counter would work without EQ in all cases. Here's the response curve in that particular location:

ARC-1M - SVS PC-2000.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis