SVS PB13 Ultra or SVS SB13 Ultra, ready to buy.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have any professional reviews that would show this? I have seen many for the Ultra series, but none for Funk Audio.
Data-Bass

8db is the difference between the drivers 123 db vs 115 db. I'd estimate 119 db for a 15". Remember to factor in the cost of the amp too.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
A room that size, assuming it's reasonably well sealed off, could be a good fit for something like the SB13U. You could easily get extension deep into the infrasonic range (think 10Hz) which isn't typically feasible with a vented alignment, even one as capable as the PB13U. However, if you were interested in pursuing that route, I'd highly recommend looking at the PSA XS30; a pair of those isn't a heck of a lot more than a single PB13U, and one to one should have an output advantage over the SB13U, albeit at the expense of size/aesthetics and some of the options available on the Sledge amp (which may not make much difference if you utilize a modern receiver with room correction).
My room is open in the rear, does this change things dramatically?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That is not the driver Funk Audio uses in the 18.0C or the 18.1
The difference is about the same in SPL. But most folks don't need anything close to 120 db. 90db at 20hz is plenty for most setups. 110db is 5 db above THX Peak Reference. 120 db is even more crazy. That's why I don't see ported subs as necessary especially at that price range.

You should consider splitting your money into 2 subs. 2 PB12-NSDs get THX Peak Reference in ground plane testing. 2 subs give you a smoother in-room response.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
The difference is about the same in SPL. But most folks don't need anything close to 120 db. 90db at 20hz is plenty for most setups. 110db is 5 db above THX Peak Reference. 120 db is even more crazy. That's why I don't see ported subs as necessary especially at that price range.

You should consider splitting your money into 2 subs. 2 PB12-NSDs get THX Peak Reference in ground plane testing. 2 subs give you a smoother in-room response.

I like listening to music at around 105db, haha.

Well, the plan is to get a 2nd Ultra down the road :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
110db is 5 db above THX Peak Reference. 120 db is even more crazy.
FYI:
Feature Article
Reference level is by any definition, objective or subjective, quite loud. It basically mirrors the dynamic range of the studio system, which in the case of all movie sound tracks, is 105 dB. Any single channel of the system is calibrated to play 0 dB FSD (the loudest sound the sound track can contain) at 105 dB (115 dB for the LFE channel).

And it gets worse:
Audioholics Subwoofer Room Size Rating Protocol | Audioholics
Technically speaking, most people redirect the bass from other channels to the subwoofer, which in conjunction with LFE could in theory ask the sub for a 123dB peak signal.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I like listening to music at around 105db, haha.
Well, the plan is to get a 2nd Ultra down the road :)
If you are a bass head then get a Funk Audio Sub. SVS subs are great, but they simply can't keep up with an 18" DIY based sub. It's a matter of physics. I realize there isn't a "review" of that particular sub, but there is no comparison here in performance. If you want to have real earthquakes in room the 18.1 gives you a slot port which does incredible things.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
If you are a bass head then get a Funk Audio Sub. SVS subs are great, but they simply can't keep up with an 18" DIY based sub. It's a matter of physics. I realize there isn't a "review" of that particular sub, but there is no comparison here in performance. If you want to have real earthquakes in room the 18.1 gives you a slot port which does incredible things.
So are you saying the 18.1 moves more air then the PB13 Ultra?

Is that not the physics behind bass? The amount of air you can move?

Can you explain to me why there is no comparison?

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Most sub placements are quarter or eighth space though so we do get reinforcement that way.
Indeed. Taking into account 12dB of gain from corner loading on top of what the PB13U can do in ground plane testing at 2 meters, adding another 3dB to convert from RMS to peak, and subtracting for distance in my setup, my PB13 can theoretically exceed 120dB of output at 20Hz. I consider that satisfactory :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm not so sure that the 18.1 is in "another league", but this is a rough idea of what the 18.3 and 18.0 can do.
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" + 2x18" PR 200L - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" sealed 100L - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
The drivers have been updated to a proprietary model since that test and are supposed to deliver greater output at the higher end.

The old PB13U with the BASH amp for comparison:
SVS PB13-Ultra 20 Hz tune - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

The 18" driver is a lot bigger than the 13" driver so it goes lower and louder.

I should say that I'm not really sure there is a practical difference here. I certainly won't listen to bass at the levels needed to test either sub. Doing so for extended periods is dangerous.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not so sure that the 18.1 is in "another league", but this is a rough idea of what the 18.3 and 18.0 can do.
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" + 2x18" PR 200L - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" sealed 100L - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
The drivers have been updated to a proprietary model since that test and are supposed to deliver greater output at the higher end.

SVS PB13-Ultra 20 Hz tune - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Just an FYI you can find the latest measurement at data-bass.com. I believe Ricci includes the HTS tests in his list since they used identical setups.

It's around 8 db in SPL which is significant if you listen at that level I guess not sure I could really tell the difference to be honest.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic

So tell me why this particular test didn't do as well?
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" sealed 100L LT - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Box size was discovered to be the limiting factor at 20hz in his testing. There is only so much air after all. That is not a ported test where you are only limited by port noise. That sub still did insanely well though. It's sealed and got 106 at 20hz ground plane. That's only 4db lower than the ported SVS gets and it's sealed.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
Well I just can't overlook the cheap looking drivers Funk Audio uses in the 18.1 & 18.0C. It literally looks like an old paper cone design with a cheap stamped case. If they were using the TC Sounds drivers, yeh I'd be all over it. But sadly they don't.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well I just can't overlook the cheap looking drivers Funk Audio uses in the 18.1 & 18.0C. It literally looks like an old paper cone design with a cheap stamped case. If they were using the TC Sounds drivers, yeh I'd be all over it. But sadly they don't.
Are you trolling or being serious dude? Buying a sub based on driver looks.:D Just tell the truth you want that piano black SVS finish to match those couches. I can't fault a man for that either. Just get the PB Ultra so you have plenty of headroom. Yeah I know at the end of the day we are all visual creatures. I'd personally would have bought an SVS if I didn't make my own sub. They've stood the test of time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis