SVS PB13 Ultra or SVS SB13 Ultra, ready to buy.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
Which would you choose?

I'm torn, I'm about 70% movies 30% music, but I love my music as well.

My room is 15x15x9

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I'd go pb13u. You still have the option to put it into sealed mode and it'll perform better for movies, most likely.

whitey019

whitey019

Enthusiast
I own a SB13 Ultra and I can whole heartily recommend it. Although I lean more heavily towards music, I also enjoy a thunderous movie. I'd go the SB route and if one isn't enough........buy a second one (easy for me to say ;)).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Get the PB13, and for that monster setup, get two.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
In this application, I'd go PB13U, especially if you can only get one sub due to placement/WAF/etc. reasons.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a PC13-Ultra (similar to the PB13-Ultra), and recently added an SB13-Ultra. I auditioned the SB13 by itself in the same location as my PC13 normally sits, and they were very similar (I was part of a contest here and wrote a review on it). My room is bigger than yours...but I don't listen to things very loudly most of the time. Both are great subs. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the SB13 simply because it's so much smaller but performs almost identically for my needs.

For shear volume, the PB13-U is going to win. But, whether you'll ever notice the difference depends on how loud you play things. My main recommendation - really consider the size and weight of the two choices.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
Man, that's a nice set up. I would go with a PSA-XV30 :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Which would you choose?

I'm torn, I'm about 70% movies 30% music, but I love my music as well.

My room is 15x15x9
A room that size, assuming it's reasonably well sealed off, could be a good fit for something like the SB13U. You could easily get extension deep into the infrasonic range (think 10Hz) which isn't typically feasible with a vented alignment, even one as capable as the PB13U. However, if you were interested in pursuing that route, I'd highly recommend looking at the PSA XS30; a pair of those isn't a heck of a lot more than a single PB13U, and one to one should have an output advantage over the SB13U, albeit at the expense of size/aesthetics and some of the options available on the Sledge amp (which may not make much difference if you utilize a modern receiver with room correction).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I personally prefer sealed subs. They are easier to move and give plenty of bass for my tastes, but the PB13U would also do the job. If it were me I like the versatility and smaller size of the SB13.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would get a PJ and a 120" screen if I had that room.

Then open a secret credit card, that your wife doesn't know about, get a PB13U and tell her it came free with the video gear.

Done.....

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd go with the PB13 or a PC13, but I'm sure you would still be more than happy with the sealed version.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
Something else worth a look:
Home

The 18.0 passive with a high powered pro amp would be pure awesome.
I've considered Funk Audio, but they don't seem to have anything comparable in that $2000.00 price range. I don't want to spend more then $2000.00

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've considered Funk Audio, but they don't seem to have anything comparable in that $2000.00 price range. I don't want to spend more then $2000.00
They actually have better subs performance wise than the Ultra for less thank 2k, but do you really need anything better? I'd say no.

15.3 Options and Pricing

This sub would be better than the Ultra performance wise and probably smaller

15.0 Options and Pricing

This sub would be better than the sealed.

The Ultra is a great sub, but since your in Canada I think getting the Funk would be worth it especially if you are a bass head.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
FWIW, the 18.0C might be an interesting competitor to the SB13U, and falls under $2,000. The 18.1 which should be reasonably competitive with the PB13U is a hair over the $2000 mark shipped though.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
FWIW, the 18.0C might be an interesting competitor to the SB13U, and falls under $2,000. The 18.1 which should be reasonably competitive with the PB13U is a hair over the $2000 mark shipped though.
Have Funk Audio post an image of the driver used in the 18.0C & the 18.1 and compare it to the driver used in the Ultra.

Its night and day difference in build quality from a visual perspective. If they offered their 18.0 for the same price I would definitely go for that, but they don't.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Its night and day difference in build quality from a visual perspective.
Oddly enough, I've never taken the driver out of my PB13 to ogle it :D The Ultra driver is fine piece of hardware no doubt; just giving you options. I'd still stand by the notion that from a raw performance perspective, the 18.0C can likely equal or exceed the SB13U.

Last edited:
Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
Oddly enough, I've never taken the driver out of my PB13 to ogle it :D The Ultra driver is fine piece of hardware no doubt; just giving you options. I'd still stand by the notion that from a raw performance perspective, the 18.0C can likely equal or exceed the SB13U.
Do you have any professional reviews that would show this? I have seen many for the Ultra series, but none for Funk Audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis