SVS PB-2000 / PSA V1500 / HSU VTF-15H MK2 / Seaton MFW-15 Turbo SS

Which sub would you choose?

• Total voters
T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any advice on the following subwoofers : SVS PB-2000, PSA V1500, HSU VTF-15H MK2. These are the ones I've been eyeing recently as I'm looking to upgrade from my SVS SB-1000. I've tried looking at Seaton MFW-15 Turbo SS but just got lost on their forum-website (also lost patience). I'm not particularly brand loyal and looking for best bang for the buck. Max budget is $1,500 CAD. I have no problem buying from the U.S. but have to take into account duties & shipping (Canada eh!).

Our current home theater setup is in a sealed 12'x17'x9' room, but planning on moving out in the next year as we've outgrown our current house. Mains are Chane A5rx-c and centre is A2.4 (no surrounds) driven by a Denon AVR X-4000. Main use is 50% movies / netflix and 50% TV. Only space for one sub for now and the SB-1000 is already sold.

I'm not afraid of getting too much sub as I can just dial down the gain but want to future proof myself as we'll be moving out.

Any insights, suggestions, recommendations are welcome!

Thanks in advance!!

T.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shopping for US stuff is tough in Canada, as you know. Not a great exchange rate currently, plus all the duties and import fees. I would probably go for the Hsu first and Seaton second. The SVS isn't a bad value in Canada since you can buy those there and avoid the import fees, but it will get outperformed by the others.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
The PSA, HSU, and Seaton are all pretty comparable subs. The PB-2000 less so. I think you could pick based on price and/or aesthetics and be fine either way with one of those three.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am not too familiar w/the Seaton sub. However, I would opt for any of the other three that gives you the better deal. You would be hard pressed going wrong with any of them inmho. It is all about the deal at this stage!

Cheers,

Phil

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
It appears that these subs are in the same performance range. I guess I'll check which one gives me the best deal. Thanks!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It appears that these subs are in the same performance range. I guess I'll check which one gives me the best deal. Thanks!!
Tom V albeit PSA has the V1500 on sale right now for $1k shipped! It comes with a 5-year bumper to bumper warranty. You can even get duals for $1950 shipped! Not to mention, PSA gives some of the best customer service you will ever find. Here is a link to Tom's website:

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/

Here is a link for the V1500 that is on sale with a savings of $100!

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/v1500

Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since you are in Canada, he should at least contact Nathan Funk with Funk Audio and see if he has any options for you. He may have some B stock items or something that are down in your price range. Their products are about as good as it gets for quality and performance!
He does furniture grade finishes, which can lead to a good discount on a minor cosmetic flaw.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Since you are in Canada, he should at least contact Nathan Funk with Funk Audio and see if he has any options for you. He may have some B stock items or something that are down in your price range. Their products are about as good as it gets for quality and performance!
He does furniture grade finishes, which can lead to a good discount on a minor cosmetic flaw.
+1

Well worth a call.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'd say both the PSA and Hsu will be pushing your budget of 1.5k cdn and would be a good choice. Svs PB2000 is likely your best option at <1.5k cdn...perhaps look for used deals on Svs Ultras @ canuck audio mart (CAM) with the newer 16U release in the coming days/or weeks...thou Svs tend to remain overpriced even on used market ...if my memory serves me correctly.

Now, if you bump up the budget substantially you could scored a 18.0C but I highly doubt you'll be able to score a Funk at your current price-point...but IMO its the best value for us Canucks when you factor in the additional~50% on importing a US based sub for the quality of sub you'll get built in Canada...yymv.

Good luck

Last edited:
T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Hey Kew,

I did reach out to Nathan and he was very great to deal with. Unfortunately, his products are just too high end for mu budget! Maybe some day!

Cheers,

T

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Hey Billy,

You're right, the HSU and the PSA are both 1.5 k and 1.2k usd delivered. Add in the exchange rate and my budget just goes up in flames. I'd love to own a Funk but just can't shell out 3k for a sub right now. Nathan was great to deal with but I think I'm just not Funk's target consumer right now. I wish they had some more mainstream offerings. I'll keep looking on CAM in case something comes up!

Cheers,

T

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What's the Canada pricing on an SVS PB12 Plus as compared to the PB2000?

And do you have access to the SVS "Subwoofer Outlet"?

T

Touareg

Enthusiast

The PB12+ is 2k cdn and PB-2000 is 1.2 k cdn. For the SVS outlet, I'd need a special shipping quote which has been anywhere from $150 to $300 usd depending on the sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might think about the Impulse Audio D10. It should be pretty good, and the guy who makes it is very much a speaker whiz who knows what he is doing. The 1400 CA price includes shipping with no import fees or duties or any of that, it is 1400 for you, bottom line.

sunPin

sunPin

Audioholic Intern
The PSA 15V is under $1k and is the same as the V1500 except that it's down firing. I just added a 15V to my theater and it is incredible. The low end power literally jacks up the amount of adrenaline your body pumps out during movie watching.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

The PB12+ is 2k cdn and PB-2000 is 1.2 k cdn. For the SVS outlet, I'd need a special shipping quote which has been anywhere from $150 to $300 usd depending on the sub.
Svs outlet will likely not ship to Canada and circumvent it's only ID retailer....which Imo is unfortunate but understandable.

Exchange rate currently is a deal breaker Id say.... it's nearly 0.35-0.37 per...this will likely peg Canadian pricing for the new ultras ~2500 and ~3k for the ported....that could run with the Funks I would reckon.

So.... yea...CAM is a great place to help locate a sub....I sold a xs30se for 1k....last December....you'll find good deals from time to time....

Good luck...:)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those kits look great, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see a lot of "linear" pricing. Our good neighbors to the north usually get quite a beating.

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Thanks for the links guys! I'm unfortunately pretty much useless when it comes to DIY. I did find a Funk Audio 18.0C on CAM though! Will see if we can get a deal going!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis