svchost.exe has cpu @ 50%

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I searched on line and got nowhere. I ran MSE and nothing else until a couple of days ago when I started downloading MicrosoftFixit, CCleaner, Rkill and TDSKill in hopes of slowing this thing down some, I deleted a bunch of stuff. I had a ton of stuff in a Temp folder(S) and no clue what it was. CCleaner found like a million things to fix caused by that deletion. MicrosoftFixit couldn't fix 2 things pertaining to updates but I forgot exactly what so I just now ran it to be able to get the terms right. It found 4 problems this time and only one wasn't fixed: Problems installing Windows update. That led me to something about Windows Defender. I thought that was done with when MSE was introduced but I just found something saying windows won't update if Defender is screwy.

I'm going for a fresh install of MSE. I'll post this first and close everything on the computer for the install.

HELP !!!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just didn't see how unbutu was going to help with Problems installing Windows update. Granted I don't know anything about it but I'm slow enough at this that there's no way in hell that I'm going to adopt a different operating system.

I went through most of this before the thread. ATM my cpu usage is way down and I'm not sure why.

The automated trouble shooter couldn't be opened with windows and the Vista specific link just took me to the Fixit thing that I already ran. I found a trouble shooter specifically for Windows Update but it too said it couldn't be opened by Windows.

The problem ATM is that Windows Update just keeps looking for updates in perpetuity. I'll look at the dozen or so 'services' that svchost.exe handles more closely to see if one is a known problem but I think my problems with update started when I got to clearing event logs as per the instructions in the first link.

EDIT: I just fund a seemingly different FixIt thing that is Vista specific:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

We'll see and BITS service might be responsible for the CPU problem but now I have like 5 things going on at once so I'm still not sure there.

EDIT 2: Maybe this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7d9f7a2e-3bce-4871-ab14-2a6bc1f3c07b/windows-update-cant-check-for-updates?forum=itprovistasecurity

EDIT 3: I'm a jack@ss. I deleted the temp folder for update (probably). Anyway System Restore to a few days ago didn't fix it but it did make it super slow so I got that going for me. I just wanted to say never mind. I'm going to reformat this pig and be done with it.

Thanks for trying to help but I can't read 10 phone books to try understanding computers so it's back to square one. At least I know the computer a little better this time around. If I had the ching this f^%&ing thing would have a hatchet in the middle of it by now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Update:

I reformatted the laptop. My CPU Usage is still around 50% most of the time using FF. At least my updates work but what bugs me is my fan working sort of loudly. Pandora will only work with 32bit IE and that's like 75% CPU Usage. I'm getting like Adam: I don't want to hear it. Maybe I should take something apart and clean off the fan or something.

I'm considering trying out another browser just to play Pandora.

I read that Windows will drop support for Vista next year but FF still supports XP and has no plans on dropping support for vista. Does that mean that my old XP desktop would be secure using FF? That's what it sounds like. I never used IE on that anyway.

The way I understand it is that I'm running a 32 bit version of FF on my 64 bit Vista laptop but the Flashplayer required by Pandora says it's for Vista but the installer they direct you to glaringly omits Vista for compatibility. This version of FF is only a few weeks old so they might find a way to use Adobe Flashplayer but their compatibility problems are legendary seemingly. I've been doing some reading. I wasn't running Adblock or NoScript and I was taking on all cookies trying to getterdone.

No crashes or hang ups since the reformatting so that's good. I'm going to install Adblock Plus and NoScript. I'm use to them so that helps. Might they slow down CPY Usage? I'm going to peak at this machine to see if it has caked up with dust bunnies forcing the fan to work harder.

When Unbutu calls itself an Operating System, do they just mean browser or is it something different? I thought my OS was Vista. I'm confused by that. BSA, what say you? Should I be looking at that?

No offense Locoweed, I suspect you know computers but I'm not clear if you understand my low level of computer literacy. I know BSA know computers and he also understands my limited experience with computers.

I wonder what it cost and if it would be possible to turn this 64bit Vista into a Windows 7 machine. Is it worth considering? I wonder what a windows 10 machine would cost. I remember TLS saying 10's don't use Flash and that is better.

EDIT: The vacuuming quieted down the fan noise considerably. I guess I'm good then. Still I would like a browser reccomendation to use with Vista and Pandora. I'll Google Unbutu to try to figure out exactly what it is ... itap, tap ... is this thing on?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My browsers are: Chrome, Firefox and trying out Opera (Development Channel - due to included free VPN service)
As for OS, I won't bother with vista, then you could free upgrade it to windows 10.
You should be able to follow these steps to install clean windows 10:
http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/
Your vista key should work until end of this July

As for flash, Google chrome as flash built-in - so no need to install and update it separately.

Going with Ubuntu Linux is a bit drastic move imo. Here's an idea Alex. If you all you need a bulletproof computer to browse internet, then all you need is a chromebook.
They easy, fast, reliable, virus proof, generally very good battery life .... oh did I mentioned cheap too ?

They start from $150 - they are functional, but nicer ones a bit more expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Magnesium-Chromebook-7310-Dual-Core/dp/B015ROJKKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463325122&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+chromebook+13

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My browsers are: Chrome, Firefox and trying out Opera (Development Channel - due to included free VPN service)
As for OS, I won't bother with vista, then you could free upgrade it to windows 10.
You should be able to follow these steps to install clean windows 10:
http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/
Your vista key should work until end of this July

As for flash, Google chrome as flash built-in - so no need to install and update it separately.

Going with Ubuntu Linux is a bit drastic move imo. Here's an idea Alex. If you all you need a bulletproof computer to browse internet, then all you need is a chromebook.
They easy, fast, reliable, virus proof, generally very good battery life .... oh did I mentioned cheap too ?

They start from $150 - they are functional, but nicer ones a bit more expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Magnesium-Chromebook-7310-Dual-Core/dp/B015ROJKKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463325122&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+chromebook+13
I remember you mentioning some laptop before and I googled it and stuff but because it's so 'out there' for me, all the info leaked out of my head. I'll try the clean install to 10.

I had thought about the possibility of a RAM upgrade but the battery is for sh!t too. No money into vista: check. I've already lost what was on this thing so I'm not afraid to lose everything. If I can turn it into a 10 for free that would be beyond cool. The heads up on Unbutu is also much appreciated. I'll check Chrome out Fo Sho. I guess step one is my stab at Windows 10.

I also get what you're saying about the flash player but FF supposedly has a Flashplayer which in my experience doesn't play anything so ...

Hey, I've got a 60/40 partition. I wonder if I could install 10 in DATA (D:) which has 139GB free of 139GB. Vista (C:) has 109GB free of 149 GB.Am I making sense? I feel like the car guy who comes to AH asking about hooking up a car amp in a house.

You know my mistake was deleting something I shouldn't have and I was only doing that really because lint build up was making the fan run at clearly audible levels. I could have avoided this if I had taken the back off the machine first. I wouldn't have learned anything and the machine would still be bogged down by God knows what so it's the right direction. Right now it's a lean, mean Vista machine.

... but first I'm going to finish the finish on my desk. Scotch pads lubed with mineral spirits knocking down Shellac's sheen. This computer thing is making me wacky AF already.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Alex, have you considered a refurbished windows laptop? If you go, for example, to staples.com, they are offering refurbished Dell laptops for as low as $200.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, have you considered a refurbished windows laptop?
Either that or the Chromebook BSA mentioned sounds good to me. I could go a year with the one I have now easy. BSA's suggested free windows 10 install intrigues my inner cheapskate but I know it'll take 10 years off my life along with a forfeiture of sanity.

A couple of hundred bucks spent on a new toy to buy back days of cursing stars suddenly seems like money really well spent. As a matter of fact just yesterday a friend I call Eddie of the Deck mentioned that his kid refurbs and sell computers on the side. I'm also just up the road from Brown University or just down the road from Boston's Universities. The students there have well funded computer upgrades so used stuff hits Craigslist regular like.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
As a matter of fact just yesterday a friend I call Eddie of the Deck mentioned that his kid refurbs and sell computers on the side. I'm also just up the road from Brown University or just down the road from Boston's Universities. The students there have well funded computer upgrades so used stuff hits Craigslist regular like.
For refurb a laptop I strongly recommend a major brand, like Staples, Frys, etc. You want a guarantee that won't cost you a friendship or give you a headache. There are a lot of Win7 refurbs out there right now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
For refurb a laptop I strongly recommend a major brand, like Staples, Frys, etc. You want a guarantee that won't cost you a friendship or give you a headache. There are a lot of Win7 refurbs out there right now.
According to this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220996/what-you-need-to-know-about-upgrading-a-windows-vista-pc-to-windows-10/

Windows 10 for Vista would run $119. I like the machine I have ... kind of a lot. I don't know if it's because of the 64 bit architecture but I haven't had trouble with it and I built a desk around it.

I'd rather gamble on used than a refurb. I look at used as 'tested' and refurb as 'already broke once'. A warranty on a $200 product at Staples isn't attractive at all to me. I'd rather do a back alley deal. If I was getting a $2,000 product I would be much more in line with your way of thinking.

This is literally my 2nd computer ever and it was $750 seven years ago. It got put to use as a desktop replacement when XP support ended so it has low miles. It still has the little protective clear plastic strip on the row of buttons above the keyboard: really low miles.

Once in a while I use it to buy something on line and I'll maybe check my bank balance so as limited as the computer's worth might be, my use of it is at least equally limited. About a year ago my g/f used it to buy airline tickets and maybe once since then. If I disconnected the internet, she might not know for 6 months. I was just thinking that you might have heard of people like us but you probably don't know any. :D

EDIT:

Lots of leeway on editing now, I see. The article I linked points out that spending as little as $119 on an old vista is throwing good money after bad. Nobody has to waste their breath explaining that. I understand. But I still might do it anyway ... later.

I've got a year to figure out why my CPU Usage so high. Having 2 windows open in FF has my CPU chugging along at 70%. The other window is a cNet Review of Asus X83VM-1. Crucial said my RAM is already maxed out at 4GB but there are SSD options for under $100. I'm not afraid to throw away a couple of hundred buck on playing around but I don't have a couple of hundred to throw away on playing around.

In the past I tried hardwiring to my router but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. It stayed hooked up with wifi. I guess maybe if I disabled the wifi and THEN plugged the wire in it might be a different story. I'll try that a little later and reintroducing ABP and NoScript might block enough ads to slow it down. There's the Chrome option as well to try.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Alex, nice desk.

If you want to be cheap about computing, I'm not going to argue with you; that's your business. Refurb does not mean it broke once in computing. It just means someone sold it to get a new model, like I did with my iPhone some time back, and I plan to again when the iPhone7 comes out. Anyway, computers are just an assemblage of components, and if one breaks you replace it.

SSDs are highly recommended, as is a lot of DRAM. CPU speed with modern processors is secondary. Display technology and graphics also turn my crank. Of course, I work in the computing industry, so perhaps I'm not a good one to see your point of view. (Windows XP? Ugh.)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Concerning a refurb computer, I have had nothing but good luck on that!

I have an old and retired Toshiba Satellite that I got refurb from Fry's for $350 that served me well during its time. That one got replaced by a Dell e6430 refurb from Newegg for $400. That Dell was easily upgraded to Win10, 256gB SSD, 8Gb RAM.

That Dell refurb from Newegg looked New for all practical purposes, I found a couple little nicks with bright light inspection, it got more wear from the GF in 2 weeks than it got before we purchased it as refurb!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If that fan assembly hasn't been cleaned in that long and its been used particularly on laps or blankets, that sort of thing, like I did then I'd bet the fan assembly could be well plugged up. Had that experience with a fan constantly running on an older laptop. I took it apart, not that hard if you watch an appropriate video found on youtube, cleaned that fan and it improved considerably. The cpu may have been overtaxed already though....

Might just be the NSA/FBI etc checking in on you? :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
CPU speed with modern processors is secondary.
Oh ... :D

That's what started this witch hunt. I probably should have started this thread and received that info before I started deleting stuff that broke my updater. Well, as you pointed out, the broke part got replaced with the reformat.

Point taken about the refurbs, gents. Thanks for the guidance there. I stand corrected then.

Cheap computing is relative. I mean I did dish out $750 seven years ago. It does still work. Between IE and FF I am able to do the normal stuff. Maybe I'll have some luck, between things I learn and FF fixes, to get my prior FF functionality back. I would like to be able to spend a similar amount on my next computer but that's not now.

Edit: The fan did get cleaned out and it did quiet down. My new trick is to have task manager turned off and not ever worry about that again. I'm going to focus on FF to reestablish my required internet connections and when that's underhand I'll look into Chrome.

Edit: The installer for Pandora required Adobe Flash Player had some other options after the Compatibility section and clicking a few of those made the installer work. I wanted to see it again but it poofed out of existance as soon as I went to open it again. Anyway ... Pandora works. I haven't looked at Task Manager and You tube works. The fan is quiet as well. I should have reformatted years ago. Now I feel like the master of all I see. :)

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The trick to running unresponsive downloads with FF is to click on the downloaded program's properties>compatibility>run as administrator. Then right click on the download and click run as admin ... or something like that. It seems so simple but it took me forever to figure out.

Now I gotta go see about getting rid of my double chin.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis