Survery: screen size vs distance

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The wall unit

Here is the wall unit that will hold a 46" perfectly.

If I were to decide on 52", I'd have another one built that is the same except the TV opening would be wider and the little side shelf area would go away and just be a solid block. I'd probably also cut down the height of the component area a bit because in retrospect I think 11" for the top shelf is overkill.

Dimensions: 66.5" W x 21" D x 25.75" H (77 3/4" including hutch). Hutch is 13" deep. Top two shelves are 20" W x 11" H and bottom shelves are 20" W x 8.5" H.

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
1. 12 y.o. 60” CRT/4:3 – equates to 55” 16:9
2. 8.5’
3. In general it’s acceptable. For general TV viewing it’s good, but for critical movie viewing I’ll be going to a 60”- 65” when I upgrade.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I watch a 34" widescreen tube from 5'. It usually seems big enough to be involving, but can seem a bit small when watching material with a very wide aspect ratio, because then as much as 1/3 of the screen may be black bars. SD material looks great on it, but I don't think I could go bigger (or closer) without seeing the pixels. I have considered a larger screen, but I don't have room to move back much. (Also, tubes still have the best picture of any screen technology, and mine is as big as tubes get.)

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
80" FPJ <FTMFW>

I'm about 7-12 feet away right now. it changes. it's still a work in progress.

No SD all DVD and games.

all I can say is it's amazing. I've been in the WOW stage for 2 years... could go begger... but.... naw. that costs money much better spent on tweeking my sound.. or just plain making it work.. see my other thread on the odysee I am going on with.... :sigh:

Sure bigger is better but actualy.. I couldn't fit larger it has a 65" wide footprint as it's a pull up screan at the moment. I may go bigger if I have another dedicated room when I buy a house.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Nice looking wall unit, MDS! But that's a ginormous height difference between the mains and the centre speaker. I agree about the height of the component area -- if you do get a new one, you could reduce that height to accomodate a spot for a centre speaker that would fit just under the TV, which would then be at a closer height to the mains. But I know I'd want to stick with this current wall unit for now as well. Is it possible to elevate the TV slightly (I know that sounds kinda dumb) so that you can put your centre speaker in front of it?

cheers,
supervij

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The center is my current JBL which is rather small - only 4" tall and 14" wide so it really looks out of place up there. I just put a few things in it to see how it all looks. When I upgrade speakers the center will likely be much larger and can be angled downward slightly.

I went round and round with trying to design something that could accomodate the center and not require the hutch at all. It's difficult given the 65" width limitation (59" in actuality because the vertical support 'stiles' add up to 6 inches).

I could go with 2 rows of three compartments with the compartments being 19, 21, 19 but the 21 inch center compartment wouldn't hold a nice center like the forthcoming MTS-01 center which is 24" wide. I'd also have no storage at all whereas now I at least have the two compartments on the side with doors on them. This is very hard but this version of the unit is pretty close to what I want.

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
When I had my 42" panny I sat about 10 feet from it and felt like it was huge. I would not sit closer to a tv that size unless I wanted a headache.. a la sitting at the front row of a movie theater.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
When I had my 42" panny I sat about 10 feet from it and felt like it was huge. I would not sit closer to a tv that size unless I wanted a headache.. a la sitting at the front row of a movie theater.
That is not surprising, but it is unfortunate. I have kicked around the idea of a 42", but in my HT room it would not be possible to sit more than 6' from it.
(Ah well, the viewing angle for my 34" at 5' is exactly as wide as a 42" would be at 6'2" anyhow.:cool:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis