Surrounds/Rears Recommendations

B

BrennanB

Enthusiast
I am looking for some recommendations for rear speakers to be used for both music and movies but would really like an encompassing sound.

The goal is 2 x rears and a center rear for 6.1 sound. My current setup consists of a Rotel 1057 and a Outlaw 7500 amp (5 x 200w) with 2 x B&W 703's and a B&W HTM2D center.

Mirage Surrounds - OS3, OMD-5 or OMD-R
I initially was going to go with some Mirage surrounds. I really liked the innovative design for surround sound but the reviews seem to be very mixed and they sound like they might sound odd with the 703's due to the large variation in technology.

B&W Surrounds - B&W 705 or B&W CDM 1NT
Considering either of these models since they would match the 703's but I'm not sure how good they would be for surround sound.

Price range is 200 - 500 a piece. I would really like something that will provide a good encompassing sound. Any ideas would be great!!

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
A center rear is worthless, you're not trying to fix the location sound to the depth of a screen in front of you. Either go with 5.1 or 7.1 IMHO.

BTW have you considered Axiom QS8s?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Get matching speakers from the same series. You'll get the seamless transitions when the sound sweeps front to back. Surrounds for movies are not taxed as much as multi-channel music so if you like your LCR speakers and you get the matching surrounds you should be very happy with them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Get matching speakers from the same series. You'll get the seamless transitions when the sound sweeps front to back. Surrounds for movies are not taxed as much as multi-channel music so if you like your LCR speakers and you get the matching surrounds you should be very happy with them.
Try to stay with the series.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
klipsch rb 51 are tiny and sound damn good
I use a pair of Klipsch SS.5 for my rears and I'm very impressed, especially considering what they retail for (very affordable). They do not match the rest of my speakers but they blend very well. I don't beleive that there would be much of a noticable difference using them as rears. I think the horns in them add a little extra to movies with the different sound effects.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
OK...for one thing, Klipsch and B&W are completely different in voice matching. I own B&W 600 series speakers & have a friend with all Klipsch in his HT setup...totally different sound! Absolutely stay within the same brand of speaker if at all possible. If you can stay in the same series, even better.

Yes i know that your surround channels are not AS important as your front sound stage but you do want a seamless transition from front to back as previously recommended. If you are happy with the 700 series then dont get a different brand for your rears, it wont sound right.

I hope you find what you are looking for in end buddy!!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
These are my rears build in mirrow image with side firing woofers. I don't even know what they call this design of a speaker but to me they do sound awesome. They're not you standard surround sound rear design but they work for me.

Last edited:
B

BrennanB

Enthusiast
This kind of confirmed my suspicions. I'll be sticking with B&W and try and find some well priced 705's or something from a smilar line.

GranteedEV,

Good point.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis