ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Hello All!!

I am now thinking about replacing my side speakers (I sold them). Right now I am thinking of a new side speaker. I was originally thinking of these. I am considering new DIY projects.

I have thought of the the 'Overnight Sensations' dipole surrounds for a side speaker.

I am looking for options concerning a 'side speaker' in my home theater. I am obviously interested in DIY projects but if commercial options are available I am amenable within budgetary confinements:D.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
A\When it comes to surrounds, I find it hard to tell the difference between god and not as good... I actually demo them by hooking them up to my front channels and playing some music through them.... Because if you throw in a movie {even one that lights the surrounds a lot} you will have a hard time distinguishing from a $50 and $500 pair....

I think the fluance area great value is you are not going conventional bookshelf {which I like and use}.. Amazon.com: Fluance XLBP Wide Dispersion Bipolar Surround Sound Speakers for Home Theater: Electronics or Amazon.com: Fluance AVBP2 Home Theater Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers: Electronics

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think side surrounds depend on quite a few things. First, the size of the coverage area should influence what type you choose, budget will also influence things, placement compared to the seating area, and SPL levels should all be taken into account.

First, if you're trying to cover a wide area, then serious thought should be given to dipole/bipole alignments, with the expectation that if the design isn't well implemented it will more than likely end up sounding a little bit more smeared and less sharp than an accurate bookshelf. If the coverage area isn't that large a good bookshelf will probably fit the bill, with quality coming at a lower price as well.

If your side surrounds will have true side surround placement than any of the alignments would work, as long as quality and SPL standards are met to your liking. If placement isn't ideal, than it will depend largely on your ears to tell you what sounds best in your room.

Personally I prefer a higher quality surround speaker, but I also tend to listen close to reference level. When you listen at those levels you and you get the full effect of a movie soundtrack, a higher quality surround speaker makes a big difference IMHO. At lower levels I think it tends to matter less, but the louder you listen and the more you want to get out of a soundtrack, the higher quality you'll need, as with any speaker really.

I know for sure that when I watch the Abbado concert BD's I have (5.1 DTS HD Master), it just wouldn't be the same with lesser surrounds. Nor would many movies that really work the surrounds like Pacific Rim.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with ImcLoud. I don't think its worth spending a lot for speakers that will be used for rear channels for movies.

I also prefer standard monopole speakers instead of dipoles for rear channels. But I think that's a matter of preference.

I have an old pair of NHT SuperZeros that I am happy with. Today's SuperZeros 2.1 sell for $100 each, and I think that's hard to beat.

Building DIY TM speakers with ER18 or ER15 mid woofers and suitable tweeters will cost quite a lot more. While they would make excellent stand mount speakers, I wouldn't spend that for rear channel speakers.

Edit: I reread your original post and realized you are asking about side speakers which I don't use at all. That really depends on how deep your room is.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a pair of Aperion bipole/dipole speakers. While I didn't ever get to use them as surrounds I liked the way they sounded and I liked the way they looked. Only drawback was a 100Hz rating. I'm not sure if your Denon xo will accommodate multiple xo points. Just from what I've read, many do like monopole speakers as surrounds. To me that means that I'd likely be okay with bipole but probably not dipole. I never tried it when I had the chance.

YAA (fuzz) hits the nail on the head regarding the playback volume dictating the quality of the surround. A less capable speaker would fry on his watch. And then again some people use in ceiling speakers for surrounds. I think you should build another pair of those ER18s and crank it.

A small form factor 80Hz option if you can find it is an Infinity OWS1. I own those along with some Primus 153s. I've never once thought to listen to them on their own. I wired 'em up and calibrated them and never gave 'em another thought.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
YAA (fuzz) hits the nail on the head regarding the playback volume dictating the quality of the surround. A less capable speaker would fry on his watch.
I also like a beefy rear end.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
The room is 12*21, tv on a short wall. I like the idea of bipole speakers so that the sound is better for more locations.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The room is 12*21, tv on a short wall. I like the idea of bipole speakers so that the sound is better for more locations.
Do you have rows of seating? If not, than a good bookshelf with reasonable horizontal dispersion (30 degrees) could be surprisingly effective. Many people don't realize just how wide that is after seating distance is taken into account until you sit down and do the math. I'm not advocating for a bookshelf over a bipole/dipole, especially because that's what I'm using as my side surrounds, I'm only trying to keep your mind open to them because you can often get a higher quality bookshelf for the same money as a dipole/dipole.

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
I picked up brand new LSA On Walls for the ridiculous price of $230 shipped on eBay. I suggest you keep an eye out for some if time allows. Or, you can buy them new on audiogon from Underwood HiFi for $600. They used to retail for $1000; I'd highly recommend them for their performance, flexibility, and looks.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I think you should build another pair of those ER18s and crank it.
It think you and I would get along great!! Though my wife might kill you....:rolleyes:

Unfortunately for my room I am looking into an 'on wall' speaker. I will continue playing with the thoughts in my head and on the internet. I have also seen these, interests my DIY interest!:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It think you and I would get along great!! Though my wife might kill you....:rolleyes:

Unfortunately for my room I am looking into an 'on wall' speaker. I will continue playing with the thoughts in my head and on the internet. I have also seen these, interests my DIY interest!:D
I've heard the ported version of monopole Overnight Sensations at a DIY GTG. I liked them and I imagine the sealed (?) bipoles would sound similar. What got me was that it was so much sound from such a small speaker at such a low price.

The design pedigree alone on those warrants a certain level of respect. A Paul Carmody designed THX surround for $100 a pop? Then the matter is settled. It would be for me anyways ... except for the fact that I've gotten lazy.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I think I will go for the Overnight Sensation Surrounds. They are a nominal 4 ohm speakers.

That's the hiccup. The Denon 3312 that I am using says that it requires 6-16ohm outputs. Issue or non-issue?

If it's an issue, what should I do about it?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think I will go for the Overnight Sensation Surrounds. They are a nominal 4 ohm speakers.

That's the hiccup. The Denon 3312 that I am using says that it requires 6-16ohm outputs. Issue or non-issue?

If it's an issue, what should I do about it?
Should be fine. They only put that on receivers because of how dishonest speaker manufacturers can be. Some companies will rate their speakers 4 ohm with speakers that dip well below that to 1-2 ohms or maybe even less so receiver companies cover their butts by making their receivers 3-4 ohm stable and then rating to 6 ohms to guard against wishy washy ratings.

I doubt Paul would do that on a pair of his speakers so you should be fine. I don't see an impedance graph in the writeup, but I doubt they go below 3 ohms or much below, if they go below 4 at all.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
WTH, sold. Worst case scenario I have more speakers! I could also use the VSX-9500S that I have kicking around, it is 4 ohm stable.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
With all the money you are saving with DIY you should be able to afford a big amp. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I will say if you listen to multi-channel orchestra recordings like TLS does having good surrounds is important. Not as important at the mains of course. I personally am using tagband bamboo full-rangers for my upcoming surround build.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I will say if you listen to multi-channel orchestra recordings like TLS does having good surrounds is important. Not as important at the mains of course. I personally am using tagband bamboo full-rangers for my upcoming surround build.
Cool, you have to let us know how they sound. I expect a thread!!!!

I have an unsubstantiated distrust of full range drivers, I don't understand how they can go that high (freq) and still stay accurate. I figure I will have to try them out one day and develop a real opinion.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Finally got them finished!

I impatiently installed them into the system without doing any real listening test by them selves. :rolleyes: Ohwells, so far I like them! They really do fill the room nicely.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis