Surround speakers positioning

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Good morning everybody,

I have a quick question before to purchase my new speakers. My room is 14x14 and my couch will be attached to the the back wall. What's guys your suggestion, in wall or in sealing speakers to have a best solution for surround? I'm afraid that with in wall the speakers will shoot above me directly on the front wall without being able to hear them.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'd just get any bookshelf speaker and have them flanking the couch, turned to face each other. Whether they be wall mount or use a shelf, doesn't matter.

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
I'd just get any bookshelf speaker and have them flanking the couch, turned to face each other. Whether they be wall mount or use a shelf, doesn't matter.
I wish but that is not an option, I have to find the better solution for my situation between in wall or in ceiling.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then put the in-wall speakers in the walls flanking your couch, they should be to the sides and slightly behind and above your seating. Putting your couch right up against the wall has acoustic issues in and of itself, too....

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Then put the in-wall speakers in the walls flanking your couch, they should be to the sides and slightly behind and above your seating. Putting your couch right up against the wall has acoustic issues in and of itself, too....
So your advise is no in ceiling? With the in wall I was just afraid to don't be able to hear them because they will shoot directly at the front wall and I don't have chance to direct them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So your advise is no in ceiling? With the in wall I was just afraid to don't be able to hear them because they will shoot directly at the front wall and I don't have chance to direct them.
I'm not a fan of in-ceiling speakers (altho perhaps for Atmos or similar "immersive" setups). Why would the speakers in the walls flanking your couch shoot forward at the front wall? Some in-wall speakers can even be somewhat aimed at your listening position (altho not as easily as some other types of speakers/mounts).

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
In-ceilings have that 'voice from above' effect to them. With another 6 feet behind your couch, they could be made to work, but still a huge compromise.

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
So in the end guys you think I should go with in wall 2 feet above hears shooting at the front wall?
I'm sorry but I don't understand

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Why would you want surrounds pointing at the front wall? I don't understand why you keep saying this. Try this http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/
No I don't want my surround speakers to pointing at the front wall, but because my couch is against the back wall, and everybody is saying to don't use in sealing, the only alternative is using in wall installed in the back that I will never be able to point at the listening position. I don't know, maybe my limited English is making hard explaining you exactly my problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, that makes sense if for some reason you can't put them in the side walls flanking your couch, but you didn't mention that or the reason specifically (and your English isn't bad at all!). You really shouldn't have the couch against the wall either, not a good place for listening. Would standard speakers mounted up near the ceiling work on your side walls?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Surround speakers are tough to place well when you are seated against the wall. In-ceiling speakers are as good as any in that case. The surround sound stage will not be 100% correct but it might still be better than nothing. I think of all your options, in-ceilings are not a bad choice. There is a bias here against in-ceiling speakers, but they aren't really that bad for surround channels when you have an awkward room. I would never use them for the front-stage speakers though, that is just awful.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Guys, I think he means that his in-walls would be mounted in the same wall the couch is up against, and as such firing at the front of the room.

In-walls in the walls to the sides of the couch would be the preferred option, as lovingthehd noted. If that’s not an option I’d go with in-ceiling over the seating rather than in the wall behind the couch firing at the front of the room.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
This is a though one. This is how my old rear was set up. Looks like you're in the same boat as I am.
This was a 7.2 configuration. I have to say it did sound great. For now I am running 5.2

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
Thank you guys, now everything is a lot more clear. :)
I'm trying so hard to find a space flanking my couch for normal in wall speakers and the only way to be able to do that will be inverting the disposition of the living room. Easy to say in words but will maybe be harder to do when I will explain this to my wife and my architect.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It is not possible to simply pull your couch out, away from the wall, about 12 inches? Then put normal bookshelf speakers, on stands, behind the corners of your couch?

M

MarcoRed

Enthusiast
It is not possible to simply pull your couch out, away from the wall, about 12 inches? Then put normal bookshelf speakers, on stands, behind the corners of your couch?
No that is not an option at all. But looks like inverting the disposition will work and at that point I will solve all my problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis