surround sound speakers, which to choose?

S

sabbath39

Audiophyte
I am trying to put together my first surround sound system, and do not know which speakers to choose. I already have a Yamaha RX-V675-R reciever, and my home is prewired for a 5.1 wall mount system. My max budget is $400 for a complete system, or 700-800 if i break it up and buy some pieces now and some later. I mostly will be pairing the system with my PS4 for movies and video games, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Two questions to start.

Are you figuring a subwoofer in that price range you states?

Do you mean in wall or wall mount speakers? There's a difference.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That's pretty difficult. Here's an option:

3x NXG Pro 4.1 satellites -- $131.46 shipped -- Use these for your front stage (left, center and right)
NXG NX-BAS-500 subwoofer -- $269.99 shipped

Total for now = $401.45, not including speaker wire or a subwoofer cable.

Then later, when you get a little more mad money, add a pair of Fluance XLBP for your rear surrounds.

While you're shopping for speakers, there's something you ought to bear in mind. If you're going to be wall mounting your speakers, you probably ought to avoid any rear-ported speakers. Those NXG satellites have an aperiodic port on the top, and the Fluance bipoles are front-ported. Plus, they're a bargain and they sound nice for the money.

Well, I haven't heard the NXG's personally; but those who have, recommend them highly.

Last edited:
S

sabbath39

Audiophyte
the way the wiring is set up it is just an electrical outlet hole in the wall with a blank cover plate and the speaker wire run i planned on just mounting them with included brackets to the cover plates.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, So I would say start with 2.1 for now...
Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics
with a pair of these wave crests HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker | Wave Crest Audio use code jman at checkout for 15% off
that will get you a sub and front pair for around $400..
then when you get more budget free'd up buy a pair of ascend acoustic 170's and a 340 center that will be about $540 shipped if you can get them in bstock... and move your hvl1 to the surrounds... That wouldn't be a bad 5.1 system....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My max budget is $400 for a complete system, or 700-800 if i break it up and buy some pieces now and some later.
I would take the budget up to $800

You can wall-mount the HTD Level Two speakers - they are nice

Bookshelf
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...shelf-Speakers

Center
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...hannel-Speaker

For surrounds - the NXG recommended above

Or, Boston SoundWare
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...er-each/1.html

HSU STF-2 subwoofer
STF-2 Subwoofer

Last edited by a moderator: