Surround sound amp with 2 speakers

J

jozzab

Audiophyte
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me...

I have just moved into a house with ceiling integrated speakers (2 indoors and 2 outdoors), and I'm looking to buy a second hand amp.

I am interested in getting a Yamaha DSP A3090, but given that it is a surround sound amp, I wonder if it's possible to attach the speakers in a simple (A = indoor L and R) and (B = outdoor L and R), so that I can choose to listen to indoors or outdoors or both, without actually using the surround sound functionality.

Is this possible?

Thanks
J

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yamaha is pretty skimpy as to what features it has unless one has access to the owners manual but yes, you should be able to do what you describe.

Simply select the "stereo" mode and only two channels will be output to both the A and B speakers.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
so that I can choose to listen to indoors or outdoors or both
Mark's right. Hook up indoor speakers to Left/Right... hook up outdoor speakers to Left Surround and Right Surround. Set receiver to All Channel Stereo. You'll get stereo inside and out. HOWEVER, if you want to chose indoor OR outdoor, it becomes more complicated. I don't think the A3090 has an A/B function where you can choose speakers A OR speakers B.

Maybe the easiest is to hook up like described above. If you want inside only, set the AVR mode to stereo. It will only play your Left & Right.
Then you can ADD the outside speakers by selecting All Channel Stereo on your AVR. That will play stereo inside and outside.
Don't know a good way to ONLY play outside, without using Zone 2 and a seperate amp.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think the A3090 has an A/B function where you can choose speakers A OR speakers B.
From his post, I was under the impression it did have an A/B speaker switch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis