Surge Energy Ratings between UPS and Surge Protector.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Hi,

I have a PC that I am using as my DVR hooked up to OTA and running Media Center Extender to it.

I had two hard drives crash twice in the last six months.

I also noticed that there was some electricity (could feel faint shocks) when i was touching the PC chassis itself, sometimes.

I am thinking maybe it's because I have the PC hooked up to just a surge protector from APC like this.

APC Performance SurgeArrest, 11 outlet, phone line (with splitter), coax & Ethernet protection

So, I am thinking to upgrade to a UPS. Something like this:

UPSforLESS Power Backup Experts | APC BR1300LCD 1300VA Tower UPS

If you see the Energy Surge Rating on both, how come the surgearrest(non UPS and cheaper) one has such a high 2030 Joules vs it's 340 Joules.

Higher Joules is 'better' I thought. Maybe not?

Noob here, thank you.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Also, please note that my COAX and RJ45 ethernet were connected directly to the wall. Dumb me, I could have made them go thru the surge arrest itself to get protection.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, the more joules, the better. In my experience standalone surgeprotectors always have a much higher surge protection rating than my UPS, but I'm of the opinion that they'd all go up in smoke if we got hit by lightning anyway so I'm not worried about it.

I do have three APC units of various types and specifications and while they are fine, I'm looking at upgrading to these cyberpower units instead.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350PFCLCD-1350VA-810W-Compatible/dp/B00429N19M/

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
I'm looking at upgrading to these cyberpower units instead.
The mentioned link looks like it's a pure sinewave online UPS which requires the battery to always be working? Is that a right assumption. I read one of the reviews here and this is probably why?

Amazon.com: Profile For beaker: Reviews

So, for my application (computer working just long enough to do a normal shutdown), would just a 'stepped sine wave' instead of a 'pure sinewave' be a better choice?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
According to my google-fu, a pure sinewave ups is better than a stepped/approximated one, particularly if your PSU on your computer has PFC (any decent one will). I don't really understand the science behind it all though :)

I'd say that guy just got a bum unit. It happens. Most reviews I've seen have been stellar.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis