sunfire true subwoofer

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
I am being offered a Sunfire true subwoofer for a very low price. The sub looks and works fine. I would like to get a better sub than I have at this time. I have a low end Yamaha 10 inch sub now. In trying to research this sub I'm not finding much info. Its not the MKll just the true subwoofer. Is this going to be any better than what I have now? Is it worth buying even at very inexperience price? I cant afford to get something new right now but this is so cheap it just seemed that if people even thought it a decent subwoofer it would have to be a step up. Thanks for any advice.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Compared to the Yamaha - it would easily be my preference

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Assuming the internal sub amp doesn't die soon, it would probably sound better.

How much money are you talking about here?

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
He is asking 75.00 for the sub. It has always been in his home theater room/ man cave. He claims it hasnt been played hard or really very often as he doesnt get in there often. I know I'm not talking any chunk of change or anything but I dont want to waste my time or money and would just keep saving for something decent. I thank you for your thoughts on this, i really dont know but thought it maybe a step up even though its pretty old and all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
He is asking 75.00 for the sub. It has always been in his home theater room/ man cave. He claims it hasnt been played hard or really very often as he doesnt get in there often. I know I'm not talking any chunk of change or anything but I dont want to waste my time or money and would just keep saving for something decent. I thank you for your thoughts on this, i really dont know but thought it maybe a step up even though its pretty old and all.
That is not much money. I know those subs well, one passed between two of my colleagues. Those things are the very definition of one note bass. They just go ponk, ponk, and the funny thing is you can always localize them where ever they are, probably because the ponk, ponk is so pronounced.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Go and listened to it - it is the best way for you to decide. Check and listen, and make sure it
has not been abused. All that matters is, how it overall sounds to you - $75 is a good deal.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Go and listened to it - it is the best way for you to decide. Check and listen, and make sure it
has not been abused. All that matters is, how it overall sounds to you - $75 is a good deal.
Good advice. However he could by it and likely sell it at a profit. Then he can evaluate it it in his rig. I think he would get his money back and then some. However there is one for sale on Ebay, with only 22 hours left. Price is $299.00 with no bids. That tells you something. I generally find buyers on eBay are usually knowledgeable. I find the good stuff almost always gets lots of bids and goes for good prices.

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies. I am actually moving away from it in my head. I know its not much money, but I would rather save it and wait for a better sub at a fair deal. I dont want to replace inferior stuff with old and just as inferior. I'm not much of a movie person as music. Music like Philip Wesley and Nox Arcana. I dont play it real loud although most people in my house say I do lol. I am running HSU HB-1 MKll bookshelf speakers with the HSU center. I would like to upgrade my surround sound speakers with the same HSU HB-1 MKii's sometime. I have polk M5's now. I would like a sub that is more musical than movie but my price point is pretty low so it will have to be a gently used one. Thanks again for the input.

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
Well I picked up a sub. Its not a Velodyne but it sure sounds great compared to what I had. I picked from the same guy a Genesis Servo 10 sub woofer plus Servo 12 crossover amp. No hums or buzzing, clean and quiet. This is the round sub woofer, I believe 10 inch woofer. It does seem like a nice sub woofer. I have it set up and now I need to find the best place to keep it. I was trying to find the manual online but haven't had any success yet. So did I do OK? Did I make a mistake? Anyone have any advice for me with this setup?
Thanks again for the help,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I picked up a sub. Its not a Velodyne but it sure sounds great compared to what I had. I picked from the same guy a Genesis Servo 10 sub woofer plus Servo 12 crossover amp. No hums or buzzing, clean and quiet. This is the round sub woofer, I believe 10 inch woofer. It does seem like a nice sub woofer. I have it set up and now I need to find the best place to keep it. I was trying to find the manual online but haven't had any success yet. So did I do OK? Did I make a mistake? Anyone have any advice for me with this setup?
Thanks again for the help,
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White Papers/multsubs.pdf

For 1 sub, good spots would be the corner, the 1/4W corner, or center position.

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, that is going to take me sometime to read and understand. The sub made a huge difference in the sound of my music. I find myself wanting to listen more and play with and tweak the setup. I really enjoy listening for all the subtle and sometimes not so subtle sounds, some I hadnt heard before.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis