Suggestions wanted for DIY

S

smihalik

Audioholic
Hi guys,

Can someone suggest a good DIY for me? I will not be building the cabinets myself, I will have them built. I'm not sure what labour runs on something like this, maybe you guys will have an idea.

I would like a sealed option as well as a ported option if possible.

I have been poking around the DIY section, everyone seems to advocate using an external amp, like a Behringer EP2500-EP4000. I am not willing to go that route. I want a plate amp, even if it means loosing some power and/or paying a bit more. WAF is something to be considered, but not my primary concern.

Iv'e heard some guys saying they can make a sub for $500 that will crush $2000 ID subs.

I am sorry if there are a million other posts like this, but I am having trouble finding what I am looking for. I'm sure some of the experienced DIY'ers will have some great suggestions for me.

S

smihalik

Audioholic
I've been poking around a bit more, What do you think of using a soundsplinter Rl-p12 (http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp12_subwoofer_information.html) in a 2.5 cu ft vented box? Soundsplinter recommends 500-1000w RMS. What difference will I see using a 500W amp VS a 1000W amp?

The only 1000w plate amp I've come across has been the Dayton SPA1000. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-809
What is the consensus on this amp? Other/better suggestions?

Finally, what about stepping up to to the RL-s12 http://www.soundsplinter.com/rls12_subwoofer_information.html Will the difference be night and day, or only slightly better ie. where does the law of diminishing returns come into effect?
Is the 1000W Dayton plate amp sufficient for this driver? soundsplinter recommends 1000-2000w RMS.

Any and all other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Maybe a kit sub is the ticket. You can buy the cabinet and driver and amp and just assemble. Try Madisound and Parts Express.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Iv'e heard some guys saying they can make a sub for $500 that will crush $2000 ID subs.

I am sorry if there are a million other posts like this, but I am having trouble finding what I am looking for. I'm sure some of the experienced DIY'ers will have some great suggestions for me.
I am not one of the experienced, but it will help others to help you if you state your limitations in both budget and size. For instance, a $500 sub that will crush a $2000 ID sub could be the Tuba HT, but it's freaking huge. You could also use a plate amp, because it's so darned efficient. If it absolutely has to be a plate amp, I think you most likely will want to stay away from sealed subs, because they require more power for the same output, generally, especially for the lower frequencies, and more so when the cabinet gets smaller.

jliedeka has recommended Home Theater Shack for ideas.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/

If you have an attic, or some large space/basement under floor, you can learn about infinite baffle subs. Little to zero space taken up, as only the drivers are visible (if even visible):
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi

If you were willing to spend as much as that soundsplinter (which I have no clue about), you might be getting into JL and LMS territory as well. Depending on your design, you may not need that kind of capability, and if sealed, well, I don't know if a plate amp can do justice. But, I don't know jack.

A nice bang for buck sub, without being grossly oversized, is the Kappa build, the first sticky in this subforum.

Just wanted to respond, since others who are more qualified haven't chimed in yet. :)

S

smihalik

Audioholic
it will help others to help you if you state your limitations in both budget and size.
Budget wise I'm thinking under $1000 including the cost of having someone build it.

I'm interested to see what kind of performance $600-700 would get me, as well as if I were to stretch to, say $1200

S

smihalik

Audioholic
Maybe a kit sub is the ticket. You can buy the cabinet and driver and amp and just assemble. Try Madisound and Parts Express.
I've looked at the kit subs but I feel like I can get better performance out of a subcontracted DIY. Correct me if I'm wrong.

annunaki

annunaki

I've looked at the kit subs but I feel like I can get better performance out of a subcontracted DIY. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I would agree here so long as the design is well done and the constructor follows the design.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It takes about a 2k DIY sub to best a 2k consumer sub by ~10% if you have to get a professional to build the box. Keep in mind the extra cost of a outboard amp, an EQ, a way to turn the darn thing on and off, a good driver and the box.

I had one of the better DIY sealed subs that I have heard but I wanted to go back to something more simple. The PB13U did the trick for me.

If you want to go the DIY route, that's awesome but don't expect to build a great sub for a little money.

With a $1200 budget, I would consider going with the PB12-Plus.
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Check this Canadian company out, they do custom orders.

http://www.funkywaves.net/
They have already spoken...I referred him to Nathan so that line of communications is now open. Btw...smihalik...I would like to apoliogize for omitting the fact my sub was discounted because of the limited stock on the Walunt veneer and av12x driver. I guess, I was VERY lucky with my timing.:)

PS: I was looking for a local DIY'er help on another forum and I included my budget(about what yours is) and Nathan quickly responded to my post. I waited a few days and nobody came forward so I proceeded to follow up with him(funkywaves.net) and I'm sure glad I did.:)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
This is probably who I am going to be going with. I just want to have a look at all my options. He seems to do some very good work.
If you do...you won't be sorry his workmanship in beautiful...I should know;):).

S

smihalik

Audioholic
They have already spoken...I referred him to Nathan so that line of communications is now open. Btw...smihalik...I would like to apoliogize for omitting the fact my sub was discounted because of the limited stock on the Walunt veneer and av12x driver. I guess, I was VERY lucky with my timing.:)

PS: I was looking for a local DIY'er help on another forum and I included my budget(about what yours is) and Nathan quickly responded to my post. I waited a few days and nobody came forward so I proceeded to follow up with him(funkywaves.net) and I'm sure glad I did.:)
Don't worry about it Bill, I have been working with Nathan. He is able to offer a similar deal to me on a discontinued TC Sounds driver w/ 500w amp. Budget permitting I might even go with duals.

My mentality in posting here was to try and see if contracting out the work locally (as opposed to shipping from Vancouver) could offer me even more value for money.

So far Nathan is winning.

We will see what I decide. A good friend of mine used to own a furniture company and still does some woodworking. I am really temped to get my hands dirty and do a weekend project with him. Building my own design would be really interesting. I have some very cool idea's for the aesthetics, but I would like some easy to follow plans. Something like the design of your sub.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
This driver This amp This Cabinet

I've put together a couple of these things... probably won't crush a 2000 ID sub, but its extremely capable. My parents and my buddy absolutely love theirs. So so simple...
That's about $620, add shipping on cab alone is $80 more, shipping on other items . . . ? About $750-800 for a single sealed 10" sub? It's still a solid value you find? I am not doubting your thoughts, but am curious what you say before I send your rec over to any of my personal friends, thanks. (Two will build theaters at some point in the next couple/few years.)

S

smihalik

Audioholic
That's about $620, add shipping on cab alone is $80 more, shipping on other items . . . ? About $750-800 for a single sealed 10" sub? It's still a solid value you find? I am not doubting your thoughts, but am curious what you say before I send your rec over to any of my personal friends, thanks. (Two will build theaters at some point in the next couple/few years.)
Took the words right out of my mouth. doesn't seem such a good value to me. Especially once I pay shipping to Canada, duties, brokerage etc, its $1000. I'd be better off with a PB-12NSD shipping and taxes in Canada works out around $850.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
smihalik, the designer of the Tuba HT has a low profile design that is arriving soon (if not here already). Bill Fitzmaurice is the designer. Plans were $15 for the larger more boxlike design, so I presume it would be similar for this one too.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11725

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/index.php

Looks like someone stated that this is 15" x 18" x 72", which means it has been reduced down to 11 cu ft from 18 cu ft.

I think his designs are generally considered as the best bang for buck.

The compromise lies with the extremely large design(s).

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I suppose to Canada, its value begins to diminish... BUT, the driver is a design by TC sounds and is extremely capable. To be fair, the design isn't exactly mine, although I've used the sub in car audio apps before, but even our resident DIY snob WmAx endorses the setup.

Domestically, Its as good as anything I've personally heard in the price range that is virtually plug'n'play as far as what thats worth. You could build a far better box for the driver- ported could be incredible and a beefier amp and xover could make it truly high end. Just to buy parts and assemble, its great.

I guess some measurements and graphs add credibility to anything, but as a simple option that literally anybody can throw together, the thing is pretty stellar. It doesn't better the kappa in SPL, but in SQ... I'll take the sealed Eclipse any day. If you can find an SW8200 (12" version), seriously, look out. Amazing setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis