Suggestions to Wall Mount this Soundbar Speaker ?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guys,

So finally I have taken the Plunge, I have got myself the JBL L8 Soundbar, now my problem is this soundbar speaker is technically (From the Manufacturer's vision) not meant to be wall mounted, there is no such provision on the back of the speaker. But I still wanna keep it adjacent to the wall (rather in to the wall) on a height which means if I cannot have a channel/bracket holding these speakers, I will have to make a stand (Like you have a shelf in to the wall) on which I can place these soundbar speaker.

I am really looking for some suggestions on what could be the best possible solution in doing this. Design, Made to order ? Readymade if yes, where to find etc...Can you guys please help me with some suggestions. Will appreciate any help.

I have attached the picture of the speaker for you guys to get an idea the size and looks of the speaker.

Thanks in Advance.

JBL L8.jpg

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
As you suggested in your post: A wall-mounted shelf is probably your only option.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
As you suggested in your post: A wall-mounted shelf is probably your only option.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Ok Thanks for your input ! I want one more suggestion on, if I have to make a shelf what would be a better choice, a Wooden Shelf or a Glass Shelf ? Which one will give me a better sound output, If I place my speakers on that. According to Physics which one should be used to place the speaker on, Glass or Shelf. I understand Glass completely rebounds sound waves, whereas Wood absorbs sound waves, so what is required to give a better sound ? A material which absorbs sound ? or a material which does not absorb sound ? This speaker JBL L8 has a down firing woofer so its gonna throw a lot of air, sound downways. and when it comes contact with the wood or glass it will sound accordingly. So what would be my best option ?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Neither option will affect output, if you’re talking SPL. Wood actually only absorbs at certain frequencies, not the entire audio spectrum. That would be more of an issue for room acoustics - say, a wood-paneled walls vs. sheetrock – not really a consideration for this. However, another issue possibly more relevant (even if vaguely so) is that wood better absorbs vibration from the cabinet than glass does. That might be an issue (again, if at all) if the cabinet was sitting directly on the wood or glass shelf. However, the speaker will be largely decoupled from the shelf due to the feet it has.

Bottom line, acoustically speaking glass or wood isn’t going to make an audible difference, so go with what you like aesthetically. However, a wood shelf is better from a safety perspective, as you can secure it to the wall brackets, while a glass shelf will merely be sitting on the wall brackets and could be tipped.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis