selkec

selkec

Audioholic
Im looking to buy a new sub. I was looking at the velodyne dls-5000r. I listened to it at frys and it sounded awesome. Of course Im used to a junk cerwin vega 12 sub thats 8 years old. Anyway I see on here alot of people talking about HSU subs. So I looked at them online and was wondering how the velodyne would compare to the HSU VTF-3 MK3. I really like toi feel the bass. I always had jlaudio w6 subs in my eclipse so Im really a bass man. Any reason I should buy one over the other?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how much was the 5000R at frys?

how big is the room? is it open to other areas?

how much is your budget?

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
at frys it was 700. i dont want to spend much more than that if possible. I saw it online for about 590 shipped. My room is 24x12x8 at the back is a staircase behind a half wall the opening of the door to the stairs is at the bottom. I like loud clean base that I can really feel. If its loud but distorted sounding i wont like it. Right now I have polk front are rti150 the center is csi5 and the surround are fxi3 and will add 2 more fxi3 for 7.1. will be running with a yamaha.I forget the model, its new, i know the output is 140x7 I have not bought the yamaha yet because Im still deciding maybe to go with seperates.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
590 is a good price for the velo, it goes plently loud and has a remote control too.

the HSU you mentioned should also be within budget, but as the specs indicate, goes lower than the velo.

you should also look at SVS (another HSU type company), they have some pretty good 700 bucks worth of subwoofers.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I've got the DLS-3750R and it's very nice, but I just sprung for a SVS 20-39PC+ cylinder sub, which should be here tommorrow. The Velodyne is nice, but I think for the money you would be better off with the HSU or an SVS than you would with the Velodyne. The remote on the DLS-R series is nice, but I find myself not using it very often... I find myself adjusting the sub volume with the receiver's sub level more than using the sub's remote. But the DSP modes are nice, and you can set the phase 4 ways too... if you really need to do that.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
thank you for your response. I think Im going with the velodyne. It may not go as low as the hsu but it has a few things i like better about it. The remote, it looks very nice, and the amp is rated much higher wattage. Any other suggestions are welcome. Im sure there are subs have not even heard of yet.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
selkec said:
thank you for your response. I think Im going with the velodyne. It may not go as low as the hsu but it has a few things i like better about it. The remote, it looks very nice, and the amp is rated much higher wattage. Any other suggestions are welcome. Im sure there are subs have not even heard of yet.
That's a lot of sub for the 2400 ^feet you're working with there. You're open to a bit more space with the half wall and staircase, but something like this
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3.html

is rated for up 4500 ^feet.

Not to turn you off Velo...they're a solid brand (and that is a sweet looking sub!); but you could probably go cheaper than the VTF-3 II and still rock the house. SVS doesn't really have anything that fits that price nitch you're looking at to get the bone rattling power you want. You'd need to move into the Plus series. However, again, you could easily get away with the 12in NSD/PCi series in that space and still be shaking the crap out of stuff. Both are good subs for music and HT. Hsu usually gets the nod for music over the SVS, depending on your listening habits. Also, it's not so much the power of the amp as the efficiency of the enclosure.
Onix Rocket is another well regarded sub that would probably work in your space. It's only a 10 inch, however still an impressive unit.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=6.1

Enjoy!

Last edited:
selkec

selkec

Audioholic
gosh there are so many options. I was reading some of these forums and heard about dayton subs. The kits you have to put together and the specs look pretty good too. This is crazy so many choices. Does anyone have any experience with the dayton subs. Even though my theater will be about 2400 cubic ft...for the time being the sub and system will be in my living room which is 17 x20 with 15ft cathederal ceilings at the center and its open to the kitchen with a half wall so the total length is 32ft also open to to hall ways that are 9' x3 and 9x4 and also the foyer that is 9x6.5x6.5 my 52 inch is right in the center under the peak of the roof (15ft) slanting in both direcions down to 12ft. So this room can really handle alot of bass. I would rather have too much sub for the HT than not enough. Who knows I have talked my better half into the idea of spending up to 700 on the sub and she is starting to get into the whole theater thing. And she even mentioned if we really like the sub we might get a second sub for the theater. SO with all that said the subs im asking about may stay in my living room setup. wooh I have talked to much. lol So in this size living room being open what is the most I can get for 700 or less?

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
This is a serious hunk of sub for the money.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3-turbo.html

However, if you're thinking about getting a second one to add to the room, it may be more cost effecient to move up a level or so now to something like the SVS Plus/2 series. With the twin drivers, they really crank!
Sometimes it can get a bit dicey matching two separate subs in one room, unless you really enjoy messing with all the placement and measurement to make sure they're complimenting each other correctly instead of nulling each other out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis