Suggestions on upgrading home theater - Please advice

S

sraghava

Audiophyte
Greetings - I am just an audiophyte way lower in the rank and need suggestions from some experts on upgrading my home theater.

My current setup is far from optimal and dont ask me why but the guy who had come out to install 12 years back suggested it and left a mess.

I have the Denon 3312CI receiver (suggested by some experts here )

I have a 7.2 setup

4 X Polk Monitor 70
2 x Polk Tower TX440
1 X Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker
2 X Polk PSW505 subwoofer

I am planning to upgrade to :

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA II 5.0 Home Theater Pack
2 X Klipsch RP-8060FA II 6.5" 600W 2-Way Dolby Atmos Floorstanding Speaker
1 X Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-504C II 5.25" 600W 2.5-Way Center Channel Speaker
2 X Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-502S II 5.25" 400W 2-Way Surround Speakers, Pair
2 X Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-1400SW 14" 1000W High Excursion Subwoofer

Thats a 5.2.2 I guess... (May be I can add another pair of RP-502S or RP-8060FA ??)

Room Size is 20X18

Do I need an upgrade becuase the new setup can cost anywhere from 6-8K (Adorama does offer deep discounts on Klipsch periodically)

1. Do I need to replace my receiver with a Yamaha Aventage RX-8A or Dennon X3800H and use the old one as an amplifier?
2. I am confused about the subwoofers. Mixed reviews on Klipsch RP-1400SW ( Is RSL 12S subwoofer a good choice) . I havent done research on 500 RMS comparable subwoofers such as SVS or Monolith brands.

Too many questions. Please advice.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your Denon avr model number is missing a digit. An updated avr can bring a feature set that may or may not be useful to have. What are your sources and formats of movies/music that you use? The old avr has similar amp section so not sure why you would use the old avr as amp.

You don't like the current speakers? Or just like the Klipsch more (have you used them)? I wouldn't use the bouncy-type Atmos speakers myself. What are you looking for in changing speakers and subs particularly?

What particularly are you confused about for subs? Choosing/comparing just on amp rating is a wrong approach in any case. I'd usually put SVS, Monolith and RSL before Klipsch subs, but the Klipsch discounted enough could be interesting. Matching brand of sub is fairly meaningless too except maybe the aesthetic of the gold colored cones on Klipsch, if you like that sort of thing....

S

sraghava

Audiophyte
@lovinthehd - You are right that I missed a digit. The receiver model is :

I do not have a dedicated entertainment room and my family room is where I have my setup.

You don't like the current speakers? They sound very muddy even when I use Audyssey for configuration
I dont know if a Polk Monitor 70 is/was the right speaker
Why I wanted to use the old receiver as an amp was the resale value of these equipments is literally deprecated (sunk cost), so wanted to put it to use use.
I am not particular about Klipsch's copper bronze aesthetics. It could be a marketing gimmick but I do see Adorama selling the premier series at 50% the cost onc a quarter.
You are correct that I have only looked at 500 RMS watt for each of these and the price/ performance value . The RSL 12s is a 12" while RP-1400SW is a 14" and for nearly the same price I thought wouldn't a bigger driver sound better? I have not compared any stats that are posted by the reviewers.

If I stick to what I have, I could save myself a good chunk of money.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd - You are right that I missed a digit. The receiver model is :

I do not have a dedicated entertainment room and my family room is where I have my setup.

You don't like the current speakers? They sound very muddy even when I use Audyssey for configuration
I dont know if a Polk Monitor 70 is/was the right speaker
Why I wanted to use the old receiver as an amp was the resale value of these equipments is literally deprecated (sunk cost), so wanted to put it to use use.
I am not particular about Klipsch's copper bronze aesthetics. It could be a marketing gimmick but I do see Adorama selling the premier series at 50% the cost onc a quarter.
You are correct that I have only looked at 500 RMS watt for each of these and the price/ performance value . The RSL 12s is a 12" while RP-1400SW is a 14" and for nearly the same price I thought wouldn't a bigger driver sound better? I have not compared any stats that are posted by the reviewers.

If I stick to what I have, I could save myself a good chunk of money.
I'm not familiar with your speakers particularly. I've heard several Polk models I liked, and some of their latest releases like this look interesting https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/polk-reserve-r700. OTOH not a big Klipsch fan myself, altho the RP series does seem to be better than previous lineups, but I haven't heard them. The gold cones I find a bit obnoxious and would simply leave the grills on like I do with a Klipsch sub I picked up some years back (an RW12d, for the price at the time it is decent, but not one of my main subs either).

You have the XT version of Audyssey and no option to use the apps that some Denon avrs offer now (as well as the better XT32 version). Have you experimented with room positioning to get the best of your speakers/subs? Is the muddy sound more the speakers or subs?

Diameter of a sub's driver is only so meaningful like the amp power....need more information really (like details of the motor and sensitivity of the system). Third party testing, like done here at Audioholics, is a good thing to look at.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis