Suggestions on midrange AV receiver??

N

NJDan

Audiophyte
I would appreciate any advice on an AV receiver in the $500-$750 range (if there was a very dramatic difference, I would consider paying close to $1000).

I currently have a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos Four speakers and a Boston Acoustics subwoofer (I don't remember the model number, but I paid $500 in July 2005), a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc DVD/CD/SACD player, a Comcast Motorola DCT 6412 dual tuner DVR, and a conventional picture tube 26-inch Samsung HDTV. I currently have the video signal going from the DVR/cable box to the TV through a DVI. Until it broke, I had the DVD player hooked up to the receiver through 1) six analog wires for SACD [should I have done this without surround speakers?]; 2) an optical wire for digital audio; and 3) three component video wires. The DVD player is capable of emulating (I think that is the right word) HDTV resolutions but only through an HDMI connection.

My Denon AVR 1905 died a couple of weeks ago, one week after the one-year warranty ran out. I'm hosting a party next Saturday and can afford to wait for a repair. I'm also not thrilled with Denon's not honoring the warranty and would prefer to change brands, all else being equal.

My living room is probably about 20' x 18', but the dining room is adjacent and not closed off. I am interested in getting surround speakers (two satellites and a center) by the end of the year. While I watch a fair amount of TV and DVD movies, musical quality is much more important to me. I listen to a wide range of musical styles including classical, jazz, alternative rock, world music (mostly traditional, but also pop styles).

I have found HK 635 for less than $600 and am seriously weighing it. While I cringe a little to think about it, I'm also looking at the Denon 2807 or the similarly priced 3000 series (3806?). I've also seen models made by Yamaha, Marantz, Outlaw, etc. on the web that looked promising. To be honest with you, what are the big problems is that I really need to have everything set up in time for my party on 8/26.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
check out the jamo offer at secondact.com
The unit has gotten some decent press, though it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the Yammies, Denons, or Pioneers. You get the receiver and dvd player (I know you have the sony) for $500. You could take the money saved and get the surrounds now.

You could also look at the Pioneer VSX-1016. It's available all over the net for less than $500 and is a good receiver. You may also still be able to find a few Pioneer VSX-9100 or 9300. I have seen the 9100 for $500 and the 9300 for $750. Both of them are strong receivers.

Enjoy
X

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
You can get the jamo receiver alone for $299. Some places on the net are still selling it for $899.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I have three Denon receivers and no problems so far. I had one Onkyo that died after 5 years. All that being said, I almost never hear any complaints about Yamahas failing. And they are great receivers If I was to buy a new receiver today and had a bit of a negative bias against Denon it would mostly likely a Yamaha.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Mid-fi receivers

You should be able to find a new Yamaha RX-V2500 or Denon 3805 in your price range. They have a similar audio section to the newest models costing >$1k but are missing a few of the video features like HDMI.

M

Motallica

Audiophyte
NJDan said:
I would appreciate any advice on an AV receiver in the $500-$750 range (if there was a very dramatic difference, I would consider paying close to $1000).

I currently have a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos Four speakers and a Boston Acoustics subwoofer (I don't remember the model number, but I paid $500 in July 2005), a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc DVD/CD/SACD player, a Comcast Motorola DCT 6412 dual tuner DVR, and a conventional picture tube 26-inch Samsung HDTV. I currently have the video signal going from the DVR/cable box to the TV through a DVI. Until it broke, I had the DVD player hooked up to the receiver through 1) six analog wires for SACD [should I have done this without surround speakers?]; 2) an optical wire for digital audio; and 3) three component video wires. The DVD player is capable of emulating (I think that is the right word) HDTV resolutions but only through an HDMI connection.

My Denon AVR 1905 died a couple of weeks ago, one week after the one-year warranty ran out. I'm hosting a party next Saturday and can afford to wait for a repair. I'm also not thrilled with Denon's not honoring the warranty and would prefer to change brands, all else being equal.

My living room is probably about 20' x 18', but the dining room is adjacent and not closed off. I am interested in getting surround speakers (two satellites and a center) by the end of the year. While I watch a fair amount of TV and DVD movies, musical quality is much more important to me. I listen to a wide range of musical styles including classical, jazz, alternative rock, world music (mostly traditional, but also pop styles).

I have found HK 635 for less than $600 and am seriously weighing it. While I cringe a little to think about it, I'm also looking at the Denon 2807 or the similarly priced 3000 series (3806?). I've also seen models made by Yamaha, Marantz, Outlaw, etc. on the web that looked promising. To be honest with you, what are the big problems is that I really need to have everything set up in time for my party on 8/26.
Checkout NAD electronics. I have always had outstanding experience with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis