Suggestions for Fronts.

C

Cotizi

Enthusiast
Hello! Im new to audioholics but ive been browsing this site for quite some time. Right now im running a pair of Athena AS-B2's for mains, AS-C1 for center, a PB10 for the sub, and some P.O.S. sonys for surrounds :( Im running all these off a Panasonic XR25 reciever.
My question is what are your suggestions for mains since i kind of want to move the b2's to the surrounds and spend no more than $300 on a pair of fronts. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I would get the Athena AS-F2.2's and be done with it but thats more money than you want to spend. ($399.99 + shipping for the pair from audioadviser.com) Another pair of AS-B2.2's would fit the bill or get the AS-B1's on sale at the same place for $99.99 a pair and save for the AS-F2.2's then move the B1's to the rear's if you want a 7.1 setup.

Just stay with the Athena audition line. (if your happy with them)

SBF1

C

Cotizi

Enthusiast
I really like the audition line, however I wonder if there are better speakers out there that I will like more that I simply haven't heard yet. Thanks for the suggestion though.

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
Boston Acoustics usually are pretty crisp. They would be a good addition. However making those your mains, you should also get the matching center to make sure you have the correct tones throughout your whole front set of speakers. Let me know where you live so I can make other suggestions of whats in your area to listen to.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you like the B2s, I'd say save up another $100 and go for the F2.2s like STRONGBADF1 mentioned. They're more sensitive and go lower - they'll fill the room more easily, though I don't know if the XR25 will be enough to push them. Another pair of B2.2s is also not a bad idea; you'll have a nice matched system and will be right in your price range now.

C

Cotizi

Enthusiast
i live in south Texas, mainly San Antonio and College Station.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Keep the AS-B2's and get AS-R1's for the rear. Your receiver won't have the juice to power AS-F2's, and you don't need bassy speakers in the main channels with a PB-10. You can find the AS-R1's for around 150, maybe even lower.

I think you need to tweak your system a little more. Those AS-B2's are pretty good for mains.

SheepStar

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
Hey Cotizi,

I live in San Antonio too. If you're interested in some different types of speakers, check out Innovations in Home Theater on Thousand Oaks and 281. They carry, among other things, Paradigm which is a decent step up from Athena if you're looking for something different then what they have at Best Buy. Also there is a guy who sells Usher Audio in town, which are my new favorite speakers. There is also Bjorn's, but I don't think they carry much in the price range of the Athena's. Good luck.

C

Cotizi

Enthusiast
thanks for the replies, if I did anything i would probably get the AS-R1's for the rears, as they really need to be replaced in my opinion.

Gator, Is it right off 281? where exactly is it? ive been looking for a Bjorns alternative for some time now.

Also, I really want to add a permanant surround back to my system. Ive been using a center channel off my computer system as a temporary replacement. I only have room it place it behind the couch on the floor or maybe a little higher. I tried this with the temporary fix, and after balancing i found that it really seems to add something that was definately missing. Should I buy another center channel and put it back there or should i be looking for something different?

Last edited:
G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
Right off 281. It's a small store right next to Bally's on the northeast corner of the intersection. Also next to Sherlock's if you know where that is. They're pretty nice guys, don't seem to care much if you buy anything - just like showing off their stuff. You can check out the Paradigm Atom's and go up from there. I bought a Primare integrated amp from them not too long ago - one of my favorite pieces of gear. They also sell Vienna Acoustics, JM Labs, REL. Go check it out. Also if you've got any interest in two channel gear check out bluemarbleaudio.com. This guy is located in San Antonio as well; he sells Usher Audio, Arcam, Naim, and a very cool line of pre/pro stuff that I can't remember the name of right now. I think Usher Audio is a hell of a bargain, but it is still a bit more expensive then Athena. Paradigm is a good step up from Athena; you won't notice a huge difference in the sound, just better balance and musicality in my opinion. Worth a listen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis