Suggestions for computer media player?

J

jcisbig

Enthusiast
Hey All,

Currently, I use iTunes on my computer to stream audio via optical to my home theater system. I enjoy iTunes a lot because I'm used to it, and it's simple.

However, like a lot of people here, I have a high interest in audio quality. Currently, I rip my CDs to .wav for use in iTunes, but .wav doesn't store any meta data for the audio file.

What other players are out there that are:
- Free
- Will play .flac files
- Are simple to use and have a good user interface and options
- Allow you to create playlists, smart lists, etc.
- Rate songs

Thanks!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you currently use and like itunes, why not go for apple lossless?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey All,

Currently, I use iTunes on my computer to stream audio via optical to my home theater system. I enjoy iTunes a lot because I'm used to it, and it's simple.

However, like a lot of people here, I have a high interest in audio quality. Currently, I rip my CDs to .wav for use in iTunes, but .wav doesn't store any meta data for the audio file.

What other players are out there that are:
- Free
- Will play .flac files
- Are simple to use and have a good user interface and options
- Allow you to create playlists, smart lists, etc.
- Rate songs

Thanks!
Foobar2000

J

jcisbig

Enthusiast
Where do you guys get good skins for foobar? It's a little bleak in the stock offering.

J

jcisbig

Enthusiast
Quick question regarding file type and bitrate. WAV always rips my files into 1411 kbps files. I just tried Apple Lossless and it ripped inconsistently, but in the 700-800 kbps range? Is the kbps showing the bit rate post-compression and pre-uncompression for the ALAC files? I'm confused...

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Quick question regarding file type and bitrate. WAV always rips my files into 1411 kbps files. I just tried Apple Lossless and it ripped inconsistently, but in the 700-800 kbps range? Is the kbps showing the bit rate post-compression and pre-uncompression for the ALAC files? I'm confused...
That would be for compressed files. They will be inconsistent as some music will compress more than others.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So many:

Amarra (mac)
JRiver
iTunes,
Pure Music, (mac)
Audirvana, (mac)
Fidelia, (mac)
BitPerfect ( For iTunes)
foobar2000

Last edited by a moderator:
connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
Another vote for JRiver, I switched from media player to Media Monkey and now us JRiver, so far it is very complete and the features are many and varied. I think now after 6 months I will be staying with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis