Suggestion for cables for my home theater

turi

turi

Audiophyte
I recently purchased the following:

Yamaha HTR-5790
Fluance SX-HTB 5 speaker
Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
Philips DVP642 DVD player, plays divx too :)

I already have a sony HDTV. Now I narrowed down to these following cables:

1 Belden 1505F with Canare RCA Plugs
1 Belden 1694A digital coax cable
1 Canare LV-77Ssubwoofer cable
1 Belden 7710A component video cable
2 12AWG Sound King (Part# 100-155) 100' Roll of 12 Gauge High Strand count OFC speaker wire

Now any comments on my choice or any suggestions how I might get the most out of it? Please do remember that I haven't received them yet. I supposed to receive everything by next week.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
The cable you chose are good cables with reasonable prices. Personally, I like the Radio Shack Gold Series cables. I think the are just as well made as the ones you have cited and are easy to get and cheaper. But that's just me. Others will disagree. There is no need to spend a lot on cables. I have mainly Rat Shack Gold cables plus a few from RCA and one from GE, I think. There are all well constructed and I challenge anyone to prove they sound any better or worse than any other decent quality cable out there.

Sounds like you are on the right track by not falling into the trap of high prices cables. Congrats!

BTW, the Sound King wire is also very nice basic wire.

Shinerman

turi

turi

Audiophyte
One more question - The yamaha receiver has a feature that allows you to upscale your video to component. This would be awesome if I could play games from my Xbox expecially the eagerly awaited Doom3. Does any body have suggestions how to connect my Xbox to the receiver so that I can utilize my HDTV in its full glory?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't get out more than you put in initially.

When you "upconvert" a signal from one format to another that theoretically offers an improvement, it's only for the sake of convenience. The quality of the signal is not enhanced over it's native format.

M

mark4x4

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha 2400 and I'm running my satellite receiver S-video to the Yamaha and upconverting it to component video. It does make a difference, I highly recommend doing this if you have the capability.

I've demo many speaker cables, analog and digital interconnects. I try to buy equipment with value in mind because some of the more expensive cables and electronics were, IMO not as good as some of the cheaper ones.

Speaker cables I ended up with the Nordost Flatline Gold, analog interconnects....Synergistic Research Kaleidoscope Phase 1 and digital interconnect......I have four because I purchased them real cheap on Ebay. I have a Tara Prism 1, Illuminati Videostream 75, Zu Cable Firemine, and Dh Labs 75. I'm torn between the Zu Cable and the Dh Labs. It really depends on what components you're using and your listening environment.

Hope this helps.....Good Luck,
mark4x4

MtB

MtB

Audiophyte
Fluance + Yamaha

turi said:
Yamaha HTR-5790
Fluance SX-HTB 5 speaker
Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
Philips DVP642 DVD player, plays divx too :)
I have a Yamaha HTR-5650 and Fluance AV-HTB's on order. How do your (slightly better) Fluance speakers sound with the Yamaha receiver? What type of music/movies do you like? (makes a difference to what you like in sound usually).

Hoping I enjoy these since I only paid $400 for the speakers + receiver.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Turi, though this may be way too late, I know that MonsterCable sells a component video hookup for XBox and PS2. Of course, seeing how Monster has been acting recently, I can't blame you for not wanting to buy anything from them. BTW, if you want to play DoomIII they way it's MEANT to be played, get a good PC. XBox, PS2, nor any other console can step to a PC for gaming prowess.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis