T

theotherone

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>My Gear:

Onkyo TX-DV747
NHT VT-1As
NHT SW2P w/ MA-1A Mono Amp
NHT matching dipoles

Decided to connect my subwoofer to my recievers preout. Previously had been connecting using the high level inputs. With my crossover maxed out and my sub &quot;volume&quot; turned up just a bit, I start to ger a &quot;thump&quot; whenever I switched between components. If my sub volume is up considerably the thump sounds like the neighbors are pounding the floors above. Presently, I have my crossover set to 80, cause my front speakers can go down to around 60, and I have the sub volume very low, so I get know thump, but I feel like somethings missing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help...</font>

H

HTJunkie

Audiophyte
<font color='#32CD32'>This is normal if you have you reciever turned way up, Turn it down to avoid any damage.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
T

theotherone

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks alot for the calming words. At first I couldn't tell if it was my sub or my upstairs neighbor who has a toddler that is constantly active. It sounded much like she does when she's had a bit too much sugar-fortified OJ. &nbsp;

Questions?

Now that I am going through my receivers pre-out, does the crossover knob on my sub-amp still control the crossover?

My sub says when you connect through the high-level inputs the crossover is set to 100, does the crossover knob still have an effect when this is used?

Finally, if you use high-level inputs, can a Dolby Digital receiver still send the '.1' info to the sub, or does it have to use the pre-out?

Thanks alot of any help I get. Love this site!</font>

T

theotherone

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Oh, forgot to mention. Even when my volume is very LOW, like -40db I hear the 'tump'. It seems to be connected to the volume of my sub. The higher my sub volume, the &quot;bigger&quot; the thump. As a result, I'm afraid to turn my sub up to the level it should be at according to my sound meter. Is this still sounding normal? &nbsp;
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Try going down to your local Radio Shack &amp; getting a plug reducer. Don't know if this wiil work for you, but I was getting a hum out of my NHT SW-12, &amp; the dealer had suggested this. This eliminates the ground prong on the sub amp plug. Also works on receiver. My receiver only has a two prong though.</font>

T

theotherone

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the help. I think the problem was with the sub pre-out on the Onkyo 747. I've since replaced it with an HK AVR320 and the problem is gone. Love the warm, rich sound of my new receiver!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Sweet. Tossed my Onkyo for a Yamaha. Could not be more pleased.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis