Subwoofer selection, what's your opinion?

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I know you've heard this question a million times...but I'd love to hear your opinions and maybe see some tests on some of these subs!
I'm shopping around for a sub. I have Klipsch rf-15 fronts and an onkyo tx-sr602 85 watts/ch. The playing room is about 20ft by 12ft, with a large opening in to a dinning area. My listening position is 15ft from the speakers.

I'd really like to get the SVS PCi 25-31 or 20-39, but I live in Canada and don't know if I want to pay duty, taxes, and shipping. Might cost nearly $1000 CDN. Ouch!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-12-2002.html

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm

My other choices are:
Klipsch RW-10, 260 watt, $900
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=653

Infinity PS-12, 300 watt, CHEAP! maybe as low as $350
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=PS12BK

Velodyne DSP-12, 200 watt, CHEAP! maybe $320
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/specs/dps.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/velodyne-dps-10-subwoofer-8-2004.html

Note: The review I've linked is for the Velodyne DPS-10, but look at the THD at 20Hz compared to the SVS PCi 25-31. The SVS outperforms the velodyne at every frequency.

What would you do? Is the shipping worth it for the SVS? Has anyone in Canada (ON) purcahsed an SVS and shipped it acroos the border? Will this sub outpreform my RF-15 fronts.

I'll be getting an RC-25 center in the next few months and use the system for TV, music, and movies.

Thanks for your time,
Dan

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Paradigm has some sweet subs. You can't get a good deal on them? :confused:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
How much extra is shipping? What percent HT/music will you use the sub for?

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
Zumbo, I looked at the paradigm PS-1000. It fits with my budget and seems to compare well with the other subs.
http://www.audiotronic.ca/sections/elist.asp?send=eng&codeDep=2&codCat=50

That link is to my local HiFi dealer, good store and sells me the floor models if I need a discount. The sub might cost me $600CDN

Buckeyefan_1, The shipping is calculated at $60US. Bringing the total to $660 US. But I expect that the Ontario/Canadian cutoms will charge me 15% tax ($70US) and maybe croos border duties too. So the total might be as high as $800US, $1000-1100CDN. I don't know much about cross-border duties, so I'm going to research that later today.

40% HT / 60% music, but I love the music more then the HT, my girlfriend likes the TV, I usually flip on a cd or digital audio from the digital tv box.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
1)Paradigm. 2)Local dealer. 3)Product of home. 4)Great product.

How many more reason do you need? ;)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Did you like the sound of your Klipsch over Paradigm? I have heard the RF-15's. I liked them better than the larger models. ;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Throwing this out to anyone on a budget. I bought this for a younger brother of mine just out of college. I have yet to give it to him because it still amazes me. It took a week to break in, and ever since, has blown away my 15" Klipsch sub. I was pi$$ed at first, then I thought I'd just order another one for the other corner of my room since it sounded so good. Keep in mind my listening room is approx 14' x 37' (opens up to a dinette and kitchen). I haven't bought another one because this one does the job by itself! It's no SV cylinder sub, but man you have to believe me you don't need to spend $1000 on a sub to shake the house and still sound great. This sub is tight, not boomy, for music more so than HT, yet it still sounds great with LOTR and Gladiator. My opinion is that the amp may be a little too powerful for the sub, but more power is usually a good thing. I just wonder if two of these at $458 would compare to a $550 SV sub.

Cadence XSUB 12:
350 Watt RMS Power Amplifier
70 oz Magnet structure weight
Isolating, Stainless Steel Spiked Footings with Castors
Auto Start, Turn-On/Turn Off with Audio Signal Circuit
Adjustable Phase Control 0-180 Degrees
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 250Hz +/- 3db
Cabinet Size: 16.5" (w) X 17.75" (d) x 16.75" (h)
Unit Weight: 55 pounds
2 YEAR WARRANTY AGAINST MANUFACTURERS DEFECTS

Attachments

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
zumbo said:
Did you like the sound of your Klipsch over Paradigm? I have heard the RF-15's. I liked them better than the larger models. ;)
I did like the sound of the smaller RF-15 then the RF-25, and the Klipsch speaker was recommended over the paradigm, so I didn't even audition the monitors. I'm going to spend an afternoon listening to the subs and speakers at the Hifi store and then make my choice.

Is the velodyne or infinity worth it at the price. They're about 50% off!

THanks
Dan

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The word around here seems to be for the Velodyne. :confused: I would rather have a Paradigm sub myself.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Hsu has a Canadian distributor. Could well be worth looking into.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I did look in to the HSU. Thanks for the reply. Too bad they don't make the cylinder any more! Does anyone know about the new cylinder that has been rumored?
Does anyone have a link to the HSU STF-2 frequency testing? has anyone seen the figures on THD and response curves? I'd be interested to see the figures before ordering the sub.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I was going to get the svs 25-31 but they had a BStock 20-39 and i got it. Wow! Its more then enough.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
Where did you get the B stock? Is there a link?

Thanks

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That SVS sub would be well over $1000 to get up North of the Border, I figure $1214 conservatively. Give the HSU another look. You can get a VTF-2 for about $699 or maybe less. Just email HSU and ask for specs you want and for the contact info for the Canadian distributer, they will give you a list of local shops. Also you try PMing Johnny Canuck, he bought and HSU out in BC after much searching around much like you are doing now. I helped someone get an STF-2 in Toronto, the damn thing rocks and we got it for a song. Also look into the Paradigm Subs for sure, they are a great value, and a Canadian company. For that matter audition PSB subs if you can, I'd suggest the 6 or 7. One thing to make note of, SVS has said that they also plan on opening up a distribution chain in Canada, I don't think they have yet, but if you email them to find out for sure it might prompt them even more. ;)

Good luck with the hunt.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I e-mailed SVS yesterday about Canadian distribution. I'm hoping that they've started the process of finding a warehouse and distributers.
Thanks for the advice on the HSU gear, I'll contact them and if they provide graphs, charts, and specs, then I'll pass them along on this forum.

And I found the B-stock link. There's no PCi subs available!
Cheers,
Dan

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I live in Montreal and SVS should be shipping my new PB12-ISD today or tomorrow.

I came to select SVS because:

- It was recommended here in this Forum
- I corresponded with SVS, provided the dimension of my room and my thoughts for the sub's placement. SVS had serious reservations about my choice of the PB10-ISD and suggested the PB12-ISD, because of the size of my room. And then suggested alternate placement locations.
- Together with a 12 meter interconnect cable plus an analog SPL meter and the Avia DVD, I come to an estimated $963 in Canadian dollars ($ 786.55 US), including shipping, and expect a few more dollars to pay to UPS at the door for Canadian customs.

But, there is no Canadian sub that can compare to this for that amount, as far as I know. From what I read, HSU can be a very good choice as well.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Gee,that doesnt sound like well over a $1000 at all.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
shokhead said:
Gee,that doesnt sound like well over a $1000 at all.
Don't forget all the UPS brokerage fees and PST/GST as applicable.

The UPS fee on a sub would be around $60 I'd guess + another 2.7% disbursement fee (so for a $900 sub, it'd be around $25)

Then add your taxes (GST/PST) on top of that.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
Don't forget all the UPS brokerage fees and PST/GST as applicable.

The UPS fee on a sub would be around $60 I'd guess + another 2.7% disbursement fee (so for a $900 sub, it'd be around $25)

Then add your taxes (GST/PST) on top of that.
UPS charge is part of the deal paid to SVS. As I said, I expect Canadian Customs as the only additional charge. I will be back next week to tell what extra I had to pay.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
mfabien, please do post the price that you end up paying, or PM my account, or e-mail spider_duggan@hotmail.com. It's one of the biggest factors that I'm considering, since I really would like the SVS sub.

I appreciate your input thus far and am going to contact SVS about sub placement, and subs that would work with my room size. Damn taxes and duties!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis