Subwoofer' s Cutoff Frequency Question

cristisabo_28

cristisabo_28

Junior Audioholic
Hello.My 7.1.2 system consists of: Jamo C809 fronts(30-24000 Hz),Jamo C80 center( 70-24000Hz),Jamo C80 surrounds(65-24000Hz) and Jamo C93 for surround back(45 Hz-24Khz).I set the crossover in the Receiver(Pioneer sc-lx88) at 80Hz and set all speakers to SMALL.Set the crossover in the Subwoofer at 150 Hz(Klipsch R 115SW).Should I raise the crossover point above 80Hz in the receiver? I'm thinking that the pair of surrounds and center speaker that won't go below 65-70Hz are the weakest from all of them(in that matter) and probably the cuoff frequency should be around 100 Hz.Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a matter of preference so try various crossovers. Does your avr allow each speaker to be set on it's own or does it only have a universal crossover?

cristisabo_28

cristisabo_28

Junior Audioholic
It's a matter of preference so try various crossovers. Does your avr allow each speaker to be set on it's own or does it only have a universal crossover?

Unfortunately Pioneer doesn't offer this option.I heard Onkyo does.I will try different crossover values.Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My onkyo does. My pioneer does not.

cristisabo_28

cristisabo_28

Junior Audioholic
Should I try with 100 Hz or should I go higher ?Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sure. The only thing you might find is you like it. Or don't... lol

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Whatever you do, don't use "dual crossovers". Defeat the sub xo, or turn it to the max position. Your post wasn't clear if the 150Hz is max or not.

cristisabo_28

cristisabo_28

Junior Audioholic
Whatever you do, don't use "dual crossovers". Defeat the sub xo, or turn it to the max position. Your post wasn't clear if the 150Hz is max or not.
No,it's not the maximum position.At maximum it says LFE.Should I turn the knob all the way to LFE?Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No,it's not the maximum position.At maximum it says LFE.Should I turn the knob all the way to LFE?Thanks
The LFE setting essentially takes the sub's low pass filter out of the way so that you can let the avr do the managing.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup.

Use the XO in the AVR or the XO in the sub, but NOT both. Typically, turn the sub to max or defeat the sub XO (seems to be LFE on your model sub), and use the AVR XO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis