Subwoofer Recommendation Appreciated

C

Charbear

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Old school guy slowly embracing the new millenia. I have an older stereo system which I really like and do not want to change (old Adcom 200W Amp and Tuner/Preamp combo unit). Finally replaced my old AR speakers with Infintiy Beta50's (fine considering $600/pr). Bi-wired configuration.

Mainly listen to blues/jazz and 70's - 90's rock (grew up on "hair" bands and still like 'em).

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations on a sub $400 subwoofer (good sale going on, etc.). The Adcom equipemnt is old (~20 years) and there is no "surround sound", subwoofer output, etc. I'll need to make sure I get a powered subwoofer with the "right connection scheme", right?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/recommendations.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
HSU has a sale going on right now. STF-2 and STF-3 both fit what you'll need.

How big is your room?

SheepStar

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Like Sheep said, the HSU STF-2 is probably the best bang/buck right now and has high/speaker level ins/outs that will fit your needs under $400 shipped.

C

Charbear

Audiophyte
Final Sub Recommendation

Finally narrowed it down to the Hsu STF-2 and the on the Martin Logan Dynamo. Both can be had at this tinme for $399.

Currne location is small (10x10) but may move to a larger room.

Final recommendations? Thanks!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Charbear said:
Finally narrowed it down to the Hsu STF-2 and the on the Martin Logan Dynamo. Both can be had at this tinme for $399.

Currne location is small (10x10) but may move to a larger room.

Final recommendations? Thanks!
I would go with the Hsu, personally. They're pretty equal spec-wise, but the Hsu has a flatter frequency response, and because it's ported, will have a higher output than the dynamo, meaning it will fare better in larger rooms too. The STF-2 is also substantially heavier than the ML, leading me to believe that it is a more sturdy design. I own an STF-1 and it can definitely hold its own in a good sized room. The only downside is that it was made for flat and accurate bass, not for ultimate extension. The same can be said about the subs you're considering. Neither one would be a bad choice, but I would pick the Hsu. If we were talking about some of the Ml servo subs, I'd be singing a different tune.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Charbear said:
Finally replaced my old AR speakers with Infintiy Beta50's (fine considering $600/pr). Bi-wired configuration.
Bi-wired eh?:D

C

Charbear

Audiophyte
Thanks all. Interesting on how opinions differ. I also postd the same scenario on the Subwoofer Forum at eCoustics. The Martin Logan's got the recommendations there.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ecoustics, more like Ew-coustics. That forum is terrible.:)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't review your sub choices, but you need to be sure there is a line-level connection on the sub. That is, if your pre doesn't have a rca sub-out.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I have had the cousin of STF-2, the VTF-2, for about 5 years. It sounds great and I have had not one problem with it. Two thumbs up for it. I have not heard the Martin Logan Dynamo so I can not make a comparison, but at the sale price the STF-2 is bargain in sound and quality.

Nick

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I have a ML Dynamo. It's a great sub. If it's a musical sub you are looking for, you can't do much better. Despite being a small sealed sub, it doesn't give up much in output. Explosions in U-571, Master And Commander and Poseidon shake my room like crazy. Just to give a comparision, I like this sub more than the bigger and more expensive M&K VX860 I had before.

Another sub you might want to consider is the Rocket ULW-10. It got a good review from Audioholics. It has more power and technology than the two subs you mentioned -- a 350w amp and a single-band equalizer. The price for a b-stock is only $320. Have fun and keep us posted.

Edit: I forgot the Rocket sub only has a sub-in connection. It's no good for you then.

Last edited:
frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
AVRat said:
Like Sheep said, the HSU STF-2 is probably the best bang/buck right now and has high/speaker level ins/outs that will fit your needs under $400 shipped.
Tell me, how is that Def Tech super cube 1. I am interested in purchasing a new sub. I currently have a Definitive PF1500. Excellent condition, not a mark on it and sounds great!!

I know why would I want to get rid of such a good subwoofer if it sounds so good and looks so good. Well I have a few extra dollars and I would like to get something smaller but something that has a lot of punch. Solid kicks in the *** and great 20hz or below amplication.

I watch 90% videos and 10% music.
However I enjoy very much the sound of 5.1 coming from a 5.1 audio concert dvd.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If it were me looking for a small foot print sub, I would pick the SVS SB12.

Nick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis