subwoofer placement, suspended in the air

YourDhass

YourDhass

Audioholic Intern
I heard that some people hang their subwoofers from the ceiling. is this legit on any level, or does it not make a difference because of the way low frequency sound travels?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I heard that some people hang their subwoofers from the ceiling. is this legit on any level, or does it not make a difference because of the way low frequency sound travels?
It can work, but if you have any nulls or peaks, raising it up in the air will move those around. I don't really see any benefit to doing so, unless you're trying to move a null out of the main LP and you're severely limited in placement options.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
I don't know but it doesn't seem very practical in a home theater for more than one reason. Maybe in a some sort of theater/concert or studio application?

1. Subs are generally heavy
2. They are big
3. Placement would be a huge challenge. How would you move it?
4. Last but not least. If I hung a subwoofer from the ceiling, My wife would use a medical procedure to implant the sub where the sun does not shine. I'd have a power cord for a tale. :eek:

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
4. Last but not least. If I hung a subwoofer from the ceiling, My wife would use a medical procedure to implant the sub where the sun does not shine. I'd have a power cord for a tale. :eek:
LFMAO!!! That's it. I'm signing off for the day. Not...

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
If you had a problem with a height mode you could look at building a platform or getting an ASC subtrap platform which also offers some absorption. I might actually move my sub up 22", re measure, and see if that location would be better. If so, I'll pick up a 22" ASC subtrap.

YourDhass

YourDhass

Audioholic Intern
It can work, but if you have any nulls or peaks, raising it up in the air will move those around. I don't really see any benefit to doing so, unless you're trying to move a null out of the main LP and you're severely limited in placement options.
I guess my understanding of nulls and peaks is wrong, I thought it had to do with the speaker itself. but placement makes a difference? do you mind explaining that shtuff?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I guess my understanding of nulls and peaks is wrong, I thought it had to do with the speaker itself. but placement makes a difference? do you mind explaining that shtuff?
The speaker/subwoofer to room interaction will may cause certain frequencies to peak or may create nulls based on the dimensions of the room, placement of the speakers, or a combination of both. This is due to the fact that the room will reflect sound waves and depending on where the speakers are placed and your room as the frequencies bounce around they may cancel themselves out or sum to create a peak in certain areas of the room. It won't matter much if the listening positions aren't in any of those positions or if you're lucky enough to have a good room, but that sort of thing can happen.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Enjoy bachelorhood .:D

I'd think it would also have to be anchored down so it didn't swing back and forth.
A sub with a single front driver would start to swing front to back.
Something like an Epic Empire with two drivers that cancel each other out, wouldn't swing.
Just my $0.02

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just suspend yourself in the air and leave the sub where it is :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis