Subwoofer in apartment

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Hey all,

I was looking for advice on having a subwoofer in an apartment. I'm looking at possibly adding this to my set up....

Definitive Technology SC4000 SuperCube powered subwoofer

and putting in on a sub dude hd. I live in a concrete building so my sound insulation should be pretty good. I've also thought I should probably also have it about 3 feet away from a wall as well. any other tips or tricks to avoid noise complaints or am I probably screwed in that area? I don't listen at crazy high volumes but I know bass really travels. Thanks for any tips/suggestions/past experiences in advance!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Screwed? No. A lot of people live in apartments and still have a subwoofer. You need to be considerate -- which it seems you are -- so you can still enjoy a nice HT system.

The SC 4000 is probably not the best choice, price/performance wise, but beyond that you should be fine.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Any suggestions on a better sub? I've searched around but lots of them either don't ship to Canada or charge a lot to send here.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Any suggestions on a better sub? I've searched around but lots of them either don't ship to Canada or charge a lot to send here.
Check out SVS. I think I remember them setting something up for the Canadian marketplace.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3 feet from the wall won't make any difference.

HSU Research has Canadian distributors.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
the only sub I could find from those 2 manufacturers that could fit on a subdude is the hsu stf-1. Might have to go for a great gramma then. It's too bad because I like the looks of the sub dude alot more. Oh well. Thanks for the advice guys!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
None of my subs "fit" on my Gramma, but it will still do the job it was made for. So it doesn't really matter if it hangs off over a bit.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm very late to the game here, but I will chime in for only one reason. I, as a fellow apartment dweller, will advise against the SuperCube. I bought the SuperCube I, the one the SC6000 replaced, and was very disappointed at the performance in comparison to other subs I have that cost much less, weigh less, and have approximately the same food print. I expected and wanted that subwoofer to perform and it just didn't do it. It was a beatiful sub (big reason why I wanted it) and very tiny looking (good for apartment right?). My $100 Athena AS-P400 sounds better and goes lower and is nearly as capable in output despite it's meager specifications. Based on the published specs alone you would expect the SuperCube to trounce the Athena in every possible way but does not in the slightest in the real world.

Also, I was told not to buy it by just about everyone here. I did not listen and I received my just rewards.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Ya, I ended up going with an SVS. Can't begin to imagine what the more expensive offerings from them sound like. The pb-12 nsd already makes my couch shake, and I haven't heard any complaints from the neighbours (thanks Great Gramma).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can't begin to imagine what the more expensive offerings from them sound like.
Probably not much better within your usage.
You have a very capable sub and it sounds like your use keeps it operating within it's intended parameters!
I think it was Warpdrv who used to talk about wishing his expensive subs in the really big living room would sound as good as a smaller one he had in the bedroom.
He has fixed that with some megasubs now, but you bought a great sub for your purposes and I doubt you are missing out on much in the low frequencies!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm glad you didn't get sucked into the small cuteness of the SuperCube. I read almost 50 user reviews all extolling it's abilities which fueled my desire to buy it.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I know I'm really late to the party, but I've been thinking of running my 10-inch Klipsch sub in my apartment, which is all concrete. Should I get a GRAMMA platform for it? Why does having the sub three feet away from walls not matter? The wall my system is on, is my neighbors bedroom, I think, unfortunately.

Any tips, aside from not playing it too loudly, and maybe having a GRAMMA, to minimize complaints? I don't quite understand how apartment dwellers can get away with subwoofers. How's that possible?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis