M

mackj2

Audiophyte
I purchased an Onkyo HT-SR600 (HTIB) and like the system but the subwoofer puts out little bass. I then went out and purchased an MTX SW2 powered subwoofer and love the bass output. I'm wondering if I've hooked it up correctly and/or if my connection will cause problems. I simply unhooked the HTIB subwoofer and plug the speaker wire into the new sub. However, the new sub has speaker inputs for two sets of speaker wire. It also also has line in/line out. What's the best hookup?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Use the sub pre-out of the receiver to the line-in of the subwoofer.

M

mackj2

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply MDS

The subwoofer out connection on the receiver seems to be apart of the DVD setup of speakers. Is this correct? If so, will the sub output sound when the source is Video 1 or 2? If so, how do I make the connection...y cable?

thanks!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
No, the subwoofer jack in the DVD section is an input and is there for the case where you run 6 analog cables to the receiver to play multi-channel audio like DVD-A or SACD.

Usually the receiver that comes with a HTIB setup from Onkyo is a clone of one of the 5xx series receivers just given a different model number so I assumed yours would have a sub pre-out.

It should be separate from all the other RCA input jacks and be labeled 'Subwoofer pre-out' and be color coded Purple.

You don't have to use a Y adapter but you can if you like. A sub is mono and will sum the two inputs to mono so normally you'd just connect to one of the line-ins (usually the Left). If you use a Y adapter to feed both the left and right line-inputs of the sub it has the effect of doubling the voltage to the sub (which makes it slightly louder). That sometimes is beneficial for making auto-on features work properly (if your sub has that feature) but is not strictly necessary.

M

mackj2

Audiophyte
Thanks MDS.

I really appreciate your help but being new to this, I'm not sure if I understand. The receiver is indeed a clone of the Onkyo 590 receiver and it has a purple input labeled subwoofer in the DVD mix of inputs. Not sure if it would be considered seperate. Here is a picture of both the receiver and sub. Let me know if the y adapter will work..thanks!

Attachments

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Well I had to go get the manual for the Onkyo because it was hard to see what's what but I'm sorry to say that it does not have a subwoofer pre-out. It has speaker level outputs marked subwoofer so it expects a non-powered subwoofer.

The hookup diagram for the sub shows Line-in from the pre-amp and Line-out to an amplifier so it is a passive sub (no internal amp).

The best you can do is connect speaker wire from the receiver to the speaker level inputs on the sub which I gather is what you have already done.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Your receiver has a high level subwoofer output, it uses speaker clip terminals to connect a to a passive subwoofer that was supplied with the Home theater in a Box. Not to worry though. all you need is one speaker wire of at a minimum of 16 gauge to connect the MTX sub to the receiver. The MTX has High level inputs signified by the speaker clip terminals. Connect on end of the speaker wire to the receiver's subwoofer speaker clip terminal output and connect the other to either the left or right speaker clip terminal on the MTX, connecting to both speaker clip terminals at the subwoofer is not necessary, one will be fine.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, never mind.:D

The connection you have made is the best it can be with that receiver, but it should work fine.:)

M

mackj2

Audiophyte
Thanks all for the feedback...I'll pick up some 16 guage wire tomorrow (later today) and replace the current wire. I like the sound but wondered if I had the best hookup. Thanks again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis