C

ChiefSquishy

Enthusiast
I am looking into getting a newer subwoofer and I was wandering if I should get a 8" in a smaller case or a 10" in a bigger case they both are 100W. I was wandering if a 8" or 10" would be better and how much of a gap difference there is between the two. I was looking at the Yamaha yst-sw012 or the Yamaha yst-sw216.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
More importantly, what is your budget and your room size? Movies/Music ratio?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What draws you to these two particular subs, and it's "wonder", not "wander".

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
At this price points (aka 100-150) you'd be better of buying Dayton 1000 or 1200.
Depends on room size.
If you could squeeze few more dollar, a $200 NGX BAS500 would be a step up

I would not recommend ether of these yamaha subs

C

ChiefSquishy

Enthusiast
Budget is around 100-150, room size is small its going to be in a bedroom and movies to music ratio is 60:40

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Several years ago my apartment had cable TV / internet installed and the cable company (now out of business) used this kind of cable:

IMG_0461.JPG

It is about 35 feet long with same connector both ends. I am thinking it could be used now, with RCA adapters on both ends, as an LFE cable to connect a second subwoofer near the opposite wall of my apartment. Any thoughts? Or should I forget this idea and just buy a super long RCA cable?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Several years ago my apartment had cable TV / internet installed and the cable company (now out of business) used this kind of cable:

View attachment 18306

It is about 35 feet long with same connector both ends. I am thinking it could be used now, with RCA adapters on both ends, as an LFE cable to connect a second subwoofer near the opposite wall of my apartment. Any thoughts? Or should I forget this idea and just buy a super long RCA cable?
What? How does this relate to this topic anyhow?

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
That cable is terminated with f-Type connections and is designed to give very low loss and high shielding to an satellite/aerial signal. But it will technically work fine as an audio cable but it is WAY over spec for this and very stiff. You will find it very hard to bend this in behind a subwoofer because of this. If you bend it to tight it might break the internal connector. You also can't get RCA plugs that will attach to that cable thickness. You can get little F-Type to RCA adapters which would screw onto the ends and allow you to use the cable though. Just search for "F-Type to RCA adapter". I think you need a male RCA to female F-Type one.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

By the time you figure the cost of getting the two adaptors you need. you might just as well go for this.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Subwoofer-Cable-Feet/dp/B0041OOFE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464557576&sr=1-1&keywords=35+foot+subwoofer+cable

I think Ty's point is why did you jump in someone else's tread on a different topic rather than start your own thread, either in this sub-forum or perhaps in the "cables ans interconnects??
I am not jumping into someones else's thread or whatever. If it makes anyone happy every time I have a stupid question i will start my own THREAD.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I am not jumping into someones else's thread or whatever. If it makes anyone happy every time I have a stupid question i will start my own THREAD.
No one is admonishing you. We're merely suggesting that derailing someone else's thread might not be the best way to get your question noticed. Our happiness is not dependent upon your doing this, but it does save us from trying to figure out whether the question you're asking is related to the topic of discussion in the thread in which you're posting.

Let me explain "... get your question noticed." I tend to leave threads that didn't interest me within the first few posts unclicked as subsequent responses bump it to the top of the recent posts list. But if it's a new thread with 0 replies, I'm more likely to click it. I'm probably not alone in this habit.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

The topic is "subwoofer help" so that's why I posted it here.
I think op didn't mean this topic to be general subwoofer help topic, but a topic to help with hes personal problem. Thus your question doesn't really relate to op, and like pointed out you will most likely get answers to your questions more likely with own topic.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis