• Thread starter dragonwhipstail
  • Start date
D

dragonwhipstail

Enthusiast
To all the members. Most of you probably know this but I hope this helps the newbies and I don't consider myself a newbie only to the crawl. I thought my subwoofers was placed in a good spot. I was WRONG. After reading many articles about subwoofer placement, I decided to crawl for the deepest and cleanest bass my subs could accomplish. For those of you that don't know what the subwoofer crawl is, it's simple. Place the sub at your listening position, play some bass heavy music (recommended) or movie you're familiar with, and then crawl on hands and knees around the perimeter of the room to search for the best bass possible. Then put the sub where you found the location to be to get that deep clean bass. Not all of us can afford the equipment needed to measure the bass frequencies but we can crawl. I found one sub to be 6' from the perfect location and the other only 2' away from it's perfect place. It's funny that they turned out to be in the same location on opposite walls. My test movie after the crawl was War of the Worlds in DTS. The bass was deep and not boomy but clean. Remember, each room is different so take the time to do this and you will not be disappointed. Do your sub a favor and put it in it's place.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for sharing your experience. As j_garcia pointed out, the topic has been covered :)

D

dragonwhipstail

Enthusiast
Thanks. Audioholics is where I read one of the articles. I posted this for those who haven't read it yet. Also as I look at the many systems which look awesome that are posted, I wonder if their subs are in the right place or if they just put it there for convenience and looks. My posting is just another one that might help. If you can help one person, it's all worth it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't hurt to put the info out. I was just posting up the AH article in addition to what you were saying because it is already out there.

D

dragonwhipstail

Enthusiast
Is the PSB Subsonic 5 a good subwoofer. I have not had a chance to hear a PSB sub yet?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Is the PSB Subsonic 5 a good subwoofer. I have not had a chance to hear a PSB sub yet?
Based on specs alone it doesn't seem great with an f10 of 27hz. Looks like it would be a better mid bass unit than sub.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have done this, and I came to the conclusion that, a few things come before sound quality..
1- aesthetics, if the best place for your sub is in front of a fire place {happened to me} you are better off finding a new spot...
2- Comfort, if the best place is where you keep your ottoman that you normally put your feet up onto, you are better off finding a new spot...
3- Access, if the wire runs to a corner behind the couch, and the sub sounds better 9 feet from there the cable will have to cross a floor, then find a new spot..

When I built my house I put the subwoofer rca panel in the corner where I new I would have no furniture, it sounds good there but when doing "the crawl" I found that in front of the fireplace almost center of the room was the best spot sound wise... Needless to say my sub is in the corner where I wired the panel and have no furniture... Speaker placement is key to sound quality but for me it comes in after a few other factors...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis