Subwoofer Crawl Saturday!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
IMG_0632.JPG
With all the changes made to my system lately I decided to repeat this nifty procedure this morning for the first time in several years. Turns out the sweet spot is on the opposite side of the entertainment console from where it has been for a long time now. So I'm gonna try that location and see what happens.

Also, ow my back. That sub is a beast to lift. :(

And the dog supervised the whole thing. Good boy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My family thinks I'm nuts, but I think the sub crawl is actually kinda fun.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Haha I waited to do this when my girlfriend was away at work. She might have me committed at this point if she saw me doing such a crazy thing.

So there were two locations that provided a good response that were in an area I could actually place the sub. First one didn't work out so well so I switched it to the backup location, re-ran Audyssey and it sounds pretty darn good. It ended up a bit closer to a corner so I think I'm gaining some room gain benefit but it so far sounds pretty controlled at least. Definitely got my workout in for the day moving that thing around! :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My family knows I'm certifiable. It's ok, they'll have plenty to talk about when I'm gone! Wait till you see their faces when you take out the laser level to aim your speakers!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
My family knows I'm certifiable. It's ok, they'll have plenty to talk about when I'm gone! Wait till you see their faces when you take out the laser level to aim your speakers!
Oh the laser pointer was last week along with some basic trig problems to place the fronts hahaha. I just figured seeing me plop that big sub on the couch and crawling around the baseboards might have been the one to tip the scales.

But. Like most wives, girlfriends, SO's, etc. who may not get it, first time we sat down to watch The Dark Knight her eyes went wide at the sound. Then of course I say "this is why I do what I do..." and rest my case. :p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Now if I could just figure out a way to effectively keep dog hair from getting lodged in the cloth grills of my speakers...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Now if I could just figure out a way to effectively keep dog hair from getting lodged in the cloth grills of my speakers...
Lol. I have a Rag Doll cat. I brush him ever single day, and I still find fur in the dumbest places.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I’m stunned that people still do the sub crawl when, with free measurement software like REW and a $100 calibrated mic, they can generate accurate measurements. That kind of technology would have cost you multiplied thousands of dollars twenty years ago.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I’m stunned that people still do the sub crawl when, with free measurement software like REW and a $100 calibrated mic, they can generate accurate measurements. That kind of technology would have cost you multiplied thousands of dollars twenty years ago.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Well in the absence of said $100 calibrated mic I did what I could and it sounds pretty great, so I guess hundred bucks saved. I mean, maybe you're fortunate enough that money is no object for you, but for myself, already way over budget on my recent upgrades I figured I'd go with the poor man's calibration method. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis