Subwoofer Connectivity-New Construction

T

tterz

Audiophyte
I am building a new home and I am at the stage of infrastructure wiring for my surround sound speakers. I have run the necessary speaker cabling for the rear speakers, center and fronts. I am however questioning how to correctly run cabling for my subwoofer that has an RCA connection on the subwoofer as well as the receiver. The subwoofer will be located on the other side of the room from where the receiver will be located at and it is approximately a 30 foot distance.

Is there a wall plate that has coaxial connection on the back and RCA connection on the front for patch into the receiver and subwoofer?

Is coax the best cable to use or should I run a long RCA cable? Is there a wall plate that has a female RCA connection on the back and also one on the front for connectivity to receiver and subwoofer?

TTERZ

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
RCA cables are almost always coax anyway, so any high-quality shielded coax will do just fine.

As far as wall plates go, yes, those can be had. Here's a link.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
tterz said:
Thank you Jaxvon

TTERZ

Since you are prewiring, you may want to plan ahead for future expansion? Wiring is cheap. Remodeling is not ;)
Try to think of future expansion, more subs, speakers for 7.1, projection tv, etc.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is exactly what you want:

You will wire RG-6 coax from the receiver location to the sub location and terminate the RG-6 with normal F-connectors. Then screw in that bad-boy above which you put into a standard 1-gang wall plate, and you are good to go.

DO NOT FORGET THAT YOU NEED POWER NEXT TO YOUR SUB!

A great device is from Panamax (I think) that allows for you to put an outlet where you want it, then wire it back to your receiver & surge protector main location. It gets everything on the same circuit and protection to help eliminate ground loops, noise, and surge issues.

WIRE THE HECK OUT OF YOUR HOME - It is 3 to 5 times as expensive to add wire after walls are up. I spent about $3,000.00 wiring my home. A deal in my opinion. Lots of conduit, cable, lan, phone... did I mention conduit? Plus security and lots of speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis