Subwoofer Connection Guide For A Multi Subwoofer System

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
I have about the same question. I ordered a second Mirage S10 to match my other one exactly. I understand the theory is to place equally on front wall on each side at least; so as to cancel out unwanted standing and reflective waves to give a better clean sound. Would it be beneficial to set the phase 180 apart so as to enhance the application of this theory?

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
It all depends on how the sound waves reflects into your room. You'll have to test it!

SPLluver

Enthusiast
velo DLS-4000(R) with energy esw-8?

hi all i just upgraded to a velo DLS-4000(R) from my energy esw-8 would it benefit me at all to use the energy as a mid bass sub? running a yamaha
RX-V861. with the energy take classic. if yes how would i set this up.

thanks

P

Patrickortiz420

Audiophyte
Dual subwoofer setup

The way i did it was from the lfe output on my reciever i had a a splitter going to two other splitters because my subs (dd 18 bg x 2) have a L-R lfe input type so "basically" i needed a total of four lfe ends coming from one output on my reciever.......it sounds pretty good.....btw im new where do i put my equipment setup description at and how do i post pics for yall to see?

GregLee

GregLee

Audioholic Intern
How do I hook up a sub with 2 pairs of speaker-level connections? It's a Samsung PS-WX70 3ohm, and the connections are both labeled as inputs -- they are red and black coded spring clips. There are no other connections or controls.

I have a spare receiver to amplify the sub with, but I don't understand why it has two inputs. Do I connect just one input, or each input to a separate amp, or connect the inputs in series? Or something else. I hope I can connect in series so it will be a 6ohm load, because my old receiver is more likely to be able to drive it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Greg. That sub is part of the HT-WX70 home theater package, correct? Do you have the main unit from that package?

My guess is that the sub has two cones that are being driven, each with it's own set of speaker terminals. I'll look to see if I can find more info on the sub, but I haven't found much, yet.

GregLee

GregLee

Audioholic Intern
That sub is part of the HT-WX70 home theater package, correct? Do you have the main unit from that package?
I guess it is from an HT-WX70, but not mine, and I don't have the main unit. It was bundled with 3 other unrelated speakers that I bought used.

If there are two independent speaker cones, that suggests that I could connect them in series, doesn't it?

Thanks for looking around.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
Most of what is written about sub configuration and placement that goes beyond just one sub focuses on 2 or 4 subs. Is there a technical reason why one would have to go from 2 to 4 subs? Why not 3?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Most of what is written about sub configuration and placement that goes beyond just one sub focuses on 2 or 4 subs. Is there a technical reason why one would have to go from 2 to 4 subs? Why not 3?
Its all about the room. 3 will work. As well as 1,2, or in mike c's case 12 or more. :)

B

bound4h

Audioholic Intern
bborzell, I posted an article in another thread that talks about what you are asking. It explains why certain #s of subs are better, and which work more harmonious than others when used simultaneously. In short, I remember it saying an even number of subs is best. Read for yourself, it's about half way down the page, the heading starts "Multiple Subwoofer Placement (Rules of Thumb)". A Guide to Subwoofers (Part II).

GregLee

GregLee

Audioholic Intern
In short, I remember it saying an even number of subs is best. Read for yourself, it's about half way down the page, the heading starts "Multiple Subwoofer Placement (Rules of Thumb)".
I just looked. I don't see any reason given there for avoiding three subs. There is a heading saying an even number is best, but the subsequent quote from Todd Welti, although it mentions two and four, does not imply there is anything wrong with three: "“The conclusion I came to was that two subwoofers give you about 90% of the performance that is possible, and that four take you about as far as you can reasonably expect to go. Anything more than four is not going to get you much in the general sense -- and these are general conclusions.”

B

bound4h

Audioholic Intern
I just looked. I don't see any reason given there for avoiding three subs. There is a heading saying an even number is best, but the subsequent quote from Todd Welti, although it mentions two and four, does not imply there is anything wrong with three: "“The conclusion I came to was that two subwoofers give you about 90% of the performance that is possible, and that four take you about as far as you can reasonably expect to go. Anything more than four is not going to get you much in the general sense -- and these are general conclusions.”
Whooaaa there, cowboy.

I wasn't saying you were right or wrong, just adding some material that I came across to the thread.

The guide is more of a scientific approach (i.e. controlled environments, perfect conditions, etc.) and you'll have to apply it to real world situations considering the changes in room size, new modes and even mode widths.

I think the article was favoring even number subs due to equivocal dispersion, not saying three was a bad choice.

Good luck

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've spoken in great length about this with Dr. Floyd Toole. Even # of subs are easier to integrate into rectangular or square shaped rooms. I've done 3 subs in such rooms but it gets tricky. Of course in odd shapped rooms like my L shape reference room, all bets are off. It takes a lot of patience, guts and good measuring tools to work it all out.

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
I've spoken in great length about this with Dr. Floyd Toole. Even # of subs are easier to integrate into rectangular or square shaped rooms. I've done 3 subs in such rooms but it gets tricky. Of course in odd shapped rooms like my L shape reference room, all bets are off. It takes a lot of patience, guts and good measuring tools to work it all out.
Any tips when dealing with odd shaped rooms?

As for me, if I was to try a sub at even spacing at ( or near ) the corners, that would put 2 subs on the fireplace hearth behind the viewers - I don't have any real personal problems with that per say, other than the brick vernier is going to reflect sound real well.

Gregory

Audiophyte
Multiple subwoofers

I've used two subwoofers in my home theater for a long time....after several articles on four subs I finally had to try it or bust...I'm almost sorry...I'll never be able to go back....the best bass I've ever heard...movies, music.. all sound incredible...with new lows and smoothness I've never experienced before...I have two Signature Paradigm subs and two Paradigm 2200's hooked up....theres a satisfying low and fullness of sound with no gaps with the bass in the room and its like listening to my blu-rays and dvds for the first time again...and I've always used the 50 hz crossover...80 hz and above has never worked for me...but I do have full range front speakers that take care of the 50 hz and above frequencies very well...Avatar and u-571 sound incredible...its a good thing I know how to hang pictures and anything else on the wall really good or I'd have some problems...I'm not sure about the foundation...but who cares....I love the sound....thats what matters....I highly recommend it for anyone who loves great low and smooth bass....Thanks....

M

mitch4t

Audiophyte
Multiple subwoofers

Gregory,

What is the size of your room?

Where are the four subwoofers placed?

thanks,

mitch

B

ballroomBoom

Audiophyte
broken link to "Impact Acoustics Sonicwave 1-male to 2-female splitter"

Hi Gene
Can you please fix the broken link to the "Impact Acoustics Sonicwave 1-male to 2-female splitter" available within the Audioholics Store? Also, is Impact Acoustics now Cables2Go? Thanks much.

M

makkkk

Audiophyte
Calibrating 2 different subs for dual subwoofing.

Hello I have 2 very different subs that I would like to implement into my home theater for dual subwoofing. From your article it is indicated not to have different subs for optimum audio results. I would agree but I am attemtping to do the best with what I have.
I have a Velodyne ULD 15 inch sub (400watts) from my past theater set up and a newer smaller Paradigm 10 inch sub (150 watt) that came with the Paradigm CT 90 speaker set I recentlly purchased. I really like the Velodyne sub because it can go deep and loud but it's crossover is fixed internally at 80hz (non adjustable). But the Paradigm sub is designed to integrate with the Paradigm satellites with a varialbe crossover up to 150hz. So the smaller Paradigm is necessary for it's higher cross over point but I need the larger Velodyne sub to supply it's weightier 25hz and below frequencies where the Paradigm cannot.
So what is the best way for me to calibrate these two very different subs to my Pioneer VSX 1121 reciever, which has MACC audio calbration?

Thank you.

Last edited:
qwsa

qwsa

Enthusiast
I have (Marantz SR7009) which has 2 subwoofer outputs
Using 2 subwoofers (SVS PB1000) at the Front connected to AV Receiver (sub o/p = 1 & 2)

Now, I would like to add another two subwoofers at the back of the room

sub.jpg

Can I use the [Line o/p] from one of the subwoofers at the Front (1 or 2) to the Input [LFE] of the 3rd subwoofer and take the [Line o/p] from 3rd s/w and feed to the Input [LFE] of the 4th subwoofer

Would this be the correct way to connect all 4 subwoofers without using (RCA Y splitters)?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis