Subwoofer Car amplifier Project

A

Angel The Basshead

Audiophyte
Hello audioholics. I have 2 12" kenwood subwoofers being powered by a Boss ph5000d monoblock class D amp. I am using a computer Power supply to run it indoors but it isnt powerful enough. (only pushes about 250 watts max). As you can tell, whenever i set my volume up the shutoff protection kicks in. I was wondering if i hook up 2 500 watt PSU's will it be enough power for my amp (both my subwoofers combined have about 800 rms watts )and will it cause something bad to happen? I just want answers on whether it is possible to do this. Thank you for any advice.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your first problem is that you are using car subs that are designed for small space (car) in your room that is a lot bigger. As using bigger power suply, yes it is possible.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Possible, yes, but the results will be unsatisfactory.

Subs in an enclosure made for a car are different than home subs. They are designed for the smaller environment of an automobile.

And, odds are that any power supply you use will be insufficient. Amps can draw unlimited power for a limited time in an automobile. When using a power supply, it's limited to what it can convert from AC to DC.

A

Angel The Basshead

Audiophyte
If I were to change the enclosure to a home theater enclosure and purchase a more powerful converter will I be able to achieve satisfactory bass. My room is small. about 10 feet by 10 feet.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
If I were to change the enclosure to a home theater enclosure and purchase a more powerful converter will I be able to achieve satisfactory bass. My room is small. about 10 feet by 10 feet.

The issue is that car subs are designed to work with +6db of cabin gain that comes from the small, metal, enclosed space of your car.

Enjoy them for now, save up for good subs!

A

Angel The Basshead

Audiophyte
Thank you for informing me. I wil be looking forward to a ported svs subwoofer

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis