S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is a beloved head-bangin' classic: Panacea - Word of Toth. This tune is such a brawler, I love it to pieces. It looks pretty in visualizer as well. Crank this to reference level. If you are going to lose your hearing, it might as well be on something completely awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You still ought to turn up the "Threshold" dial to the right of "Sunset" though.
I keep forgetting that! I'll do it again with the dial turned up.

It was inaudible to you? I can feel the pressure in my ears when I listen to it. That's why I wanted a graph on it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just discovered this tune about a half hour ago. It's not really subwoofer candy, but I love the sound of it, so I am just throwing it in here. Oneohtrix Point Never - Problem Areas. A great tune to play loud. There is something about this song that makes me want to keep listening to it, like I am trying to crack its code or something.

Full screen this video and play it loud, this is a strange new experience:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is a tune that I really like the sound of: Eskmo - I Dream I'm Flying. It's dub step but Eskmo always goes for interesting and strange bass lines. You can see that just from looking at the spectrograph. Another great tune to play loud.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here's an old school jungle track: Adam F - Circles. It features a traditional Amen break percussion and 808 bass melody line. Great stuff for chilling or for motivation to do house work. The deep bass doesn't start till later in the song, so be patient.

In a similar vein, another of my all-time favorite jungle tracks is Aquasky - Opaque. Again, the Amen break is the source of the drums, and the 808 bass handles the melody. This chart doesn't dig as deep as Circles, but it's still a great one to savor while you empty your mind.

Last one for today is the DJ Aphrodite Remix of "I Got 5 On It" by Luniz. Like Opaque, the track doesn't plumb the depths of the subwoofer range, but I include it as a part of the soundtrack of my life. This mix is a bit less mellow than the previous two, yet still worthy of inclusion in the same playlist for its Amen rhythm track and bass-driven melody. As an historical artifact, this dub serves as an example of a precursor to the dissonant edge employed by more modern dubstep, while still maintaining enough modal consonance not to be judged as experimental. Think of it as a bit of seasoning for your meal.

I really like jungle music, especially from the 1993 to 1994 era, even though perhaps they over-used the amen breaks just a bit (its used in probably half those tunes). Circles is an all time classic, it flows so nice. LTJ Bukem used it quite a bit in his mixes. I got into jungle from hardcore breakbeat from the early 90's. Great era for music, I love that stuff. It doesn't really task the subs very hard, at least compared to more modern recordings, so I don't post it here, but maybe I should throw up a few of those tunes. They are too good to be left out.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Here is a tune that I really like the sound of: Eskmo - I Dream I'm Flying. It's dub step but Eskmo always goes for interesting and strange bass lines. You can see that just from looking at the spectrograph. Another great tune to play loud.

you can really follow the bouncing ball with the tune. You can look at the spectrograph and know exactly what the bass track will follow. pretty cool eye to ear coordination.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still checking out every song posted here. Subwoofer candy is fun!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm still checking out every song posted here. Subwoofer candy is fun!
I have gone out and found downloads for most of the ones I find fun to listen to and have built a playlist just for the big bass stuff. Some of the stuff is pretty hard to find. Other stuff is ez pzy. Its all pretty dang fun though. I dunno what I'll use the playlist for other than my own amusement or perhaps the occasional visitor. Audio doesn't need a point thankfully.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just discovered this tune about a half hour ago. It's not really subwoofer candy, but I love the sound of it, so I am just throwing it in here. Oneohtrix Point Never - Problem Areas. A great tune to play loud. There is something about this song that makes me want to keep listening to it, like I am trying to crack its code or something.

Full screen this video and play it loud, this is a strange new experience:
Definitely cool. This makes me think of animusic. Wish they'd release number 3.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A great tune from days gone by: Cheeba City - All Nite Long. This is a hardcore breakbeat tune from '92, which is undoubtedly the apex year for 'hardcore breakbeat', right before the genre broke up into a bunch of different pieces that would emerge into genres in their own right, chief among them 'jungle music' aka 'drum'n'bass.' This doesn't have the deepest bass or hardest hitting bass, but it does have bass, and I figured I would just post a favorite from my youth (early 90's) of these forgotten classics. Maybe I am just in a sentimental mood....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The bass line is nearly continuous. Stuff like that should put to rest the notion that long-term sweep testing doesn't matter or burst testing is all that matters. It all matters, and you wouldn't want a sub that performs far better in one than the other.
My son had me listen to it and I knew it belonged in this thread immediately. :p

I was thinking the same thing. Like, "now this is where it counts" as it was playing. If a sub can keep that continuous bass line and not crap out I'm pretty happy. I got all warm and fuzzy inside. :) I've yet to feel the heat sinks on the backs of my MK5's even get warm. These subs are badass. I'm still playing with settings. When I get that SR6011 I'm gonna have even more stuff I can mess up! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Childish Gambino: Sober

Again, one of my son's favorite artists. He knows about this thread and likes to ask me to make graphs to see if some of his songs play as low he thinks they do. He's listened to most of the songs in this thread with me. He thinks it's fun and now makes a point out of sharing new stuff with me to post here.

I fear my pursuit of hifi is rubbing off on him. He's been asking a lot of questions about speakers and subs. On one hand it's awesome to have someone to share my interests, but I'm also trying to teach him the value of budgeting and saving money... I'm not setting a very good example in that regard! :p

CG Sober.png

The good stuff is around 2:50 into the song.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Childish Gambino: Sober

Again, one of my son's favorite artists. He knows about this thread and likes to ask me to make graphs to see if some of his songs play as low he thinks they do. He's listened to most of the songs in this thread with me. He thinks it's fun and now makes a point out of sharing new stuff with me to post here.

I fear my pursuit of hifi is rubbing off on him. He's been asking a lot of questions about speakers and subs. On one hand it's awesome to have someone to share my interests, but I'm also trying to teach him the value of budgeting and saving money... I'm not setting a very good example in that regard! :p

View attachment 21125

The good stuff is around 2:50 into the song.
Lol. Actually I think you might be setting a good example. You've done your due diligence and research, and bought products that have very high value. Instead of just buying the most expensive thing cause "it has to be the best if it costs the most"! I agree you've dumped some coin, but it's been well spent and thought out.
I always ask myself if I'm doing a good job parenting my children. My philosophy is, if I don't ask that, I know I'm not doing a good job.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice bass on that one, sadly I can not crank my subs at this hour.

If you like hip hop, here is a fun tune, an Eric B and Rakim + Micheal Jackson mashup, it sounds surprisingly good.

No deep bass, but the nice bass line from Billie Jean:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis