jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd like to set up a two channel audio system using two large bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. However, the preamp I have in mind does not have a dedicated subwoofer output. What should I do and what kind of cable should I buy?

Components are:

Axiom M22ti Speakers
Axiom Ep125 Subwoofer
Parasound P/HP-850 Preamp

Thanks!

U

Unregistered

You have no choice but to use the speaker outputs from the pre-amp to the sub. Run speaker wire from the l/r speaker terminals of the pre-amp to the high-level (speaker level) ins of the sub and speaker wires from the speaker level outs on the sub to the main speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Assuming your powered sub has R/L line level inputs...

...you can easily split the preamp outputs to both your power amp and your sub's amplifier with a pain of plain old "Y" connectors. Works like a champ.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
I'd like to set up a two channel audio system using two large bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. However, the preamp I have in mind does not have a dedicated subwoofer output. What should I do and what kind of cable should I buy?

Components are:

Axiom M22ti Speakers
Axiom Ep125 Subwoofer
Parasound P/HP-850 Preamp

Thanks!
Either suggestions above will work. With regards subwoofer cables, any well made RCA cable will do, if you're connecting via line level, or any thick gauge speaker wire, if you're connecting the high level route. I don't see the point getting special sub cables. Remember that sub cables will only carry a subset of low frequencies from the audible set which is carried by whatever RCA or speaker cable you are using. So if ever there is any need for cable superiority, it would be those cables that carry the entire audible range. THose special sub cables must have high capacitance and inductance to block off the highs. So their vendors can have the license to claim they carry LF better. But you pay a higher premium for getting higher capacitance and inductance. What for? When the sub filters all that to make sure you only get LF?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis