L

Linda Barzini

Enthusiast
I have 1 subwoofer line out on my Yamaha RX-V1500, but newer subwoofers have 2 inputs. Should I get a splitter and put the input in both or only if I want the subwoofer louder?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Two of the same type input connectors?
Or two different types of connectors, like RCA and XLR?
RCA is the type that has been around forever.
XLR is newer, larger ans has 3 pins.

L

Linda Barzini

Enthusiast
I'm getting a new one. I assume it will have 2 RCA type jacks. I usually see a red and white one, with the white one being the main one.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Can you double-check the labelling on the sub or the manual to see if one of the two can be used alone? Usually the R channel will be designated so.

I don't have a huge objection to using a stereo cable but there is no point if it's unnecessary. There is very little likelihood that the true sub frequencies would differ between the two channels; it's almost certain they will be identical. The Sub will be summing the two channels into one in any case.

Using a stereo cable will not make the sub any louder, nor will you be adding any information over what a single channel would provide, but it will make your wallet lighter.

With any cable, Red = Right channel, any other colour = left channel (if it's polarity, such as connections on a speaker, Red = (+) ). So, typically, if there is a "main" one, it's the Red connector.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis