Subwoofer behind pull-down/motorized projector screen

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
As one of my other posts says, I am in the market for a projector and screen. The original package of an Optoma projector and screen will not work due to my ceiling height and the projector offset.

What I am wondering about now before I due further research is the issue of having my down-firing SVS cylinder behind the projector screen. Some mentioned that it may cause the screen to flutter and I am wondering about the severity of this.

To me if it was going to happen it would happen regardless of the sub placement as the bass is output omni-directional and would occur with any pull-down screen.

The sound transparent screens have been mentioned but they are well out of my price range as I am looking at spenning $1500 to $1700 on the package (projector & screen).

Secondary question. Is it really necessary to buy a celing mount for the projector or could I build a suspended, from the ceiling, shelf at the appropriate height.

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions
Michael

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
while bass is omnidirectional, the air that the woofer pushes is not ...
in your case, at least the air is pushed up and down, instead of forward.

i think that would depend on the distance of the woofer from the screen and how loud you listen.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Bass is for the most part omni-directional and it will disturb absolutely everything.

But, I don't think there will be a problem with a pull down screen unless you have the port of the subwoofer directly aimed at the screen. The air expelled from a port may cause the screen to flutter if it is nearby but the low frequency waves themselves will not.

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
You can place the sub anywhere in the room - use a back corner instead of a front. I don't think you should have a problem, but if you can move it easily you might as well. If you can, you can always run a sub line to the front of your room as well as the back then you can decide when the room is finished where it's best placed. In my room, I ran RCAs to four different locations so I can place subs anywhere (or everywhere) I want. As far as pj mounting goes, if you get a projector with a good amount of lens shift, shelf mounting will be no problem.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the replies.

mike c: The sub placement would be about 2 feet behind the screen. As far as loud goes, well, I like my bass but have not hooked up my SVS yet so we will just have to see and I do have neighbours so that might help :D

MDS: As mentioned, it is a downfiring sub and the ports are on the top. I am going to hope for the best. Maybe I will try to move the ceiling tiles directly above the sub rather than the screen. Now that would be impressive

erick.s: Unfortunately, due to room layout, size, and furniture there is really only one place for the sub, in the right front corner of the room. I have pretty much dropped the idea of the Optoma projector I was looking at and am now looking at LCD projectors, specifically, the Panasonic PT-AX200U. I am waiting for the Audioholics review to come out and to see if they will be available in Canada. I know I can get them from the States, but generally there will be no warranty and no returns. Have been looking around my area a bit and well the selection seems to be minimal and the prices quite high as compared to online.

Screen question: With an LCD projector, what screen gain should I look for. I have three windows in the basement but they will all be semi light controlled. I have seen the general 1.0 gain white screens and the 1.8 gain Graywolf II screens. I can get a 92" motorized version of the later for $400 delivered.

Thanks again for your input and your time. Much appreciated
Michael

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
with screen and projector recommendations, you might want to pm BMXTRIX.
the screen gains depends on your light conditions I think, if you can black out all the lights, you can get the white one, if there's "some" light in the room, you might need the gray one.

with regards to your subwoofer ... hmmm, I think with your up and down firing sub two feet away, you might be able to get away with it.

i'm thinking the screen has the weight thing weighing it down to keep it steady.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Hey mike c,

Yeah, in all my browsing of the forums I have noticed that BMXTRIX is very knowledgeable about projectors and screens.

I am going to do my best to blackout all the lights, but I am still pretty sure there will be some light and one of the windows faces the front of where the projector screen will go, it is about 20 feet away but it still faces it.

I will have to investigate the a weight for the screen. I am hoping to get a motorized one so I will have to be careful about any extra load on the motor.

I really hope I can pull this off, the projector and screen, as I know there are a few movies I am looking forward to seeing on the big screen, not to mention the video games.

Thanks for your help
Michael

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the replies.

mike c: The sub placement would be about 2 feet behind the screen.
If you already have the sub, do an experiment:D Get some paper towels, a few sheet long and hold it in front of the sub at various distances while playing some bass heavy content. See if you can detect any movement and at what distance it disappears. Then, you may want to attach some weight to it and see if that dampens it. After all, your screens will have some weight to it, especially the lower bar so it is taught.
I doubt you need to worry

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
If you already have the sub, do an experiment:D Get some paper towels, a few sheet long and hold it in front of the sub at various distances while playing some bass heavy content. See if you can detect any movement and at what distance it disappears. Then, you may want to attach some weight to it and see if that dampens it. After all, your screens will have some weight to it, especially the lower bar so it is taught.
I doubt you need to worry
That my friend is an excellent idea. I do own the sub already but it is not setup as I am still finishing off my HT space in the basement. I did not expect to be getting a projector/screen so son, but I did expect to get one so everything is pre-wired for it. When the room is done I will try your test and see how it goes.

Thanks much
Michael

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That my friend is an excellent idea. I do own the sub already but it is not setup as I am still finishing off my HT space in the basement. I did not expect to be getting a projector/screen so son, but I did expect to get one so everything is pre-wired for it. When the room is done I will try your test and see how it goes.

Thanks much
Michael
Also, you have a good idea how low the screen will come, so that too is where you also need to check. Let us know how it turned out.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Also, you have a good idea how low the screen will come, so that too is where you also need to check. Let us know how it turned out.
Yes, I do know approximately how low the screen will end up so I will check that area as well. On a positive note, I may have been mistaken in my original calculations. When I grabbed the screen measurements I looked at the case measurement (7'6"W) rather than the actual screen (7'0"W). Six inches may not sound like alot (don't even go there :eek:) but considering the width of the room at the screen position is only 10', that 6" will help alot. The room is 11' wide but right where I will mount the screen there is an outcropping to acommadate heating ducts.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if I could get a 106" screen in there since it is only 8' wide. I will have to measure.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the optimum viewing distance is about 1.5 * ScreenWidth So for a 92" screen that would be 92*1.5 = 11'6" and for a 106" screen that would be 106*1.5 = 13'3". I will have to measure but I don't think I have the 13'3" for a 106" screen :(

Thanks for all you assistance
Michael

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Those numbers are correct. Or you can multiply you seating distance * 0.66 to get the screan width, or * 0.76 for the screen diagonal.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Hmmmm.... I wonder if I could get a 106" screen in there since it is only 8' wide. I will have to measure.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the optimum viewing distance is about 1.5 * ScreenWidth So for a 92" screen that would be 92*1.5 = 11'6" and for a 106" screen that would be 106*1.5 = 13'3". I will have to measure but I don't think I have the 13'3" for a 106" screen :(

Thanks for all you assistance
Michael
More reason to do 1080p projection:D

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
More reason to do 1080p projection:D
I agree, but the price, not so good. One day, one day, then I will shift off my old projector to the gaming room that I am going to go for the WAF on next :D

Cheers and thanks again
Michael

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis