Subs comparable to the Rythmik L12R?

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
My original budget for subs was around $500, but I guess I could stretch to $570 if necessary

I was also considering the following subs:
Rythmik L12R
Rythmik L12
SVS PB-1000
Klipsch R-110SW
HSU VTF-1 MK2

It will be used in a 2.1 setup connected to an AVR. However, I'm trying to pick my speakers for budget audiophile music listening.

That means bass response and quality are the top two factors in this purchase. My room is currently only 10' by 15', so it is quite small. Thus, smaller size is preferred to larger size. This, however, is contradicted by my desire to only buy my sub once and use it to fill a larger space once I move. So while 10" is preferred, 12" is also acceptable.

I was leaning towards the PB-1000, but I'm researching more about the HSU and Rythmik models. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Thanks!

A bit out of my price range, as I'd like to stick to $569 or less.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Get 2 Dayton 1200 or 1 Dayton 1500 fantastic budget subs. Darn good in a music setup. You could get them from amazon and if you don't like them return them. Ill see if i can find Jmans review.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Get 2 Dayton 1200 or 1 Dayton 1500 fantastic budget subs. Darn good in a music setup. You could get them from amazon and if you don't like them return them. Ill see if i can find Jmans review.
Dayton seems a bit big at 15", my room is only 10' x 15'. Also, how good is it to extract the minutest of bass details for critical listening?

Thanks for the suggestion though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, for critical listening I'd lean toward a sealed sub, which would mean the SB1000 rather than the PB1000. VTF-1 is an exception because it is adjustable.

There is a SB2000 for $629 in the SVS Outlet...

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I have 2 one was a 2.1 stereo setup and was thrilled that when i wanted to do a PC 2.1 music i knew the 1200 would fit the bill. Here is the review that made me get them: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html#/topics/71766?page=1
My space was about the same size as yours. The 1200 will do just great in that size room. House or apt?
"The SUB-1200 did justice to that fact, but there was a slight lack of definition when things got very fast."

Not too keen on this sub from that line.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"The SUB-1200 did justice to that fact, but there was a slight lack of definition when things got very fast."

If you want more definition, you're gonna have to bump up the budget. Keep your expectations realistic. I can vouch for the SB1000. I had 2 of them and loved them. They're articulate, small and detailed. I would want 2 of them though. Opting for 2 subs helps a lot as far as more even bass response through the room. Afterlife's suggestion isn't bad on your budget.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO, for critical listening I'd lean toward a sealed sub, which would mean the SB1000 rather than the PB1000. VTF-1 is an exception because it is adjustable.

There is a SB2000 for $629 in the SVS Outlet...
^^^^^^ This would probably be perfect for what you want. That's the price range where you're going to find a sub like you describe.

*Edit: I've read very good reviews on the RSL Speedwoofer. I've never heard one though. I'm sure someone here has.

Audioholics review

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Which one, the SB-1000?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The one I quoted that Garcia posted. The SB2000. I think you would like it very much. Then I remembered the Speedwoofer getting some rave reviews so I edited it in.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Believe they go deep for a cheap sub. I have a svs pb1000 mostly used for movies and concerts. Does a great job, for music id get the SB1000 as suggested by JG. I thought i read you already have a svs pb 1000 in your other thread.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SB1000 is a great sub too, but a little light for me. I have a much bigger room. I can say that they do sound really good, but I'd want 2 of them.

Edit: A single SB2000 will give you more performance and dynamic power than a single SB1000, but 2 SB1000s, I think, would be perfect for you. Your budget doesn't really allow for it though. You could try the 1000 and if you don't like it you can send it back on their tab. They have a 45 day return policy. Shipping and everything, so it's risk free.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Believe they go deep for a cheap sub. I have a svs pb1000 mostly used for movies and concerts. Does a great job, for music id get the SB1000 as suggested by JG. I thought i read you already have a svs pb 1000 in your other thread.
Nope, still picking one up as I was leaning towards a PB-1000, but then a lot of new information (for me) came in, so I'm re-budgeting.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
The SB1000 is a great sub too, but a little light for me. I have a much bigger room. I can say that they do sound really good, but I'd want 2 of them.

Edit: A single SB2000 will give you more performance and dynamic power than a single SB1000, but 2 SB1000s, I think, would be perfect for you. Your budget doesn't really allow for it though. You could try the 1000 and if you don't like it you can send it back on their tab. They have a 45 day return policy. Shipping and everything, so it's risk free.
I think two SB1000's could work, since my receiver is a 7.2, and I currently only want a 2.1 setup since my condo space is 10' x 15'. When I move somewhere larger, I can pick up a second SB1000 then.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think two SB1000's could work, since my receiver is a 7.2, and I currently only want a 2.1 setup since my condo space is 10' x 15'. When I move somewhere larger, I can pick up a second SB1000 then.
If you can swing it, I'd recommend the SB2000 if you plan to upgrade later for a bigger room and get a second one of those when your budget allows.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So the Rythmik LV12R isn't comparable to the SVS SB-2000?
I've never heard the Rythmik, but they make good subs. I believe the SB2000 would be a nice step up with a SVS pedigree and an amp with significantly more power.

*Edit: Not that Rythmik isn't a legit pedigree either. That's their budget sub though, and the SB2000 isn't. 300 watt amp vs 500 watt amp.

Last edited:
Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I've never heard the Rythmik, but they make good subs. I believe the SB2000 would be a nice step up with a SVS pedigree and an amp with significantly more power.

*Edit: Not that Rythmik isn't a legit pedigree either. That's their budget sub though, and the SB2000 isn't for SVS. 300 watt amp vs 500 watt amp.
What's your take on the Monitor Audio line of Radius subs?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis