Sub woofer set up for HT and to listen to 2 stereo music

H

hondo164

Enthusiast
I thought this would be easy, this is my first attempt at HT but then I had to go do some more research. I need some help please.

I am setting up a HT arrangement w/ a Bic Acoustech H-100 and a Yamaha RX-v661 in a 5.1 setup and also have the sub play out in stereo mode when listen to music.

I had read that connecting the single sub output jack may not be the best why to set up the sub because when listening to music in stereo mode a signal may not go to sub out jack, Also the sub woofer output jack is low-pass filtered that blocks sounds above a given frequency from getting out of the sub out jack and would degrade the sound

I also am trying to find out if the the Yamaha RX-v661 has a setting so that it will allow you the choice for the the sub to work or not work when in 2 channel mode? I am setting up a 5.1 HT. I would like to have it on so that when I listen to music I get the bass sound.

My set up is:

BIC h-100 sub woofer
Polk R300 Tower fronts
polk r 150 satellites
Polk CSR center channel

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I had read that connecting the single sub output jack may not be the best why to set up the sub because when listening to music in stereo mode a signal may not go to sub out jack, Also the sub woofer output jack is low-pass filtered that blocks sounds above a given frequency from getting out of the sub out jack and would degrade the sound
hondo164, welcome to the forum. I'll see if I can help. Things depend on how you set up the bass management in your Yamaha. Your receiver will have the option to set the front/rear/center speakers as "large" (full-range, so bass is not sent to the sub) or "small" (which directs bass below the cross-over point to the sub). You should be able to set those up independently (e.g. fronts are large, center and rears are small).

If you set your front speakers to "large", then bass for the front speakers will not be sent through the sub unless you set it up to send bass to both the sub and front speakers (if you can do that...my older Yamaha receiver had that option).

So, if you have your front speakers set to "large," you have the center and/or rear speakers set to "small," and you only direct bass below the cut-off frequency to the sub, then the sub would play for multi-channel audio but not for stereo audio...just like you read about. That's because in stereo, only the front speakers are used, and you set up the receiver not to use the sub for those speakers. You really should only have the front speakers set to large if they handle bass, anyway, and if they can handle bass...then you don't need the sub working during stereo playback. However, if you have your front speakers set to "small," then your sub will also play for stereo audio. The low-pass filter is not really an issue if you have the cross-over set well because your front speakers will be able to play all of the frequencies above the cross-over point and your sub will play all of the frequencies below the cross-over point.

Hope that helps. If not, let us know. Someone here will be able to help you.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Also note that when using the sub out jack that uses the receiver's crossover, turn the sub's crossover dial up as high as it will go to disable it.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I thought this would be easy, this is my first attempt at HT but then I had to go do some more research. I need some help please.

I am setting up a HT arrangement w/ a Bic Acoustech H-100 and a Yamaha RX-v661 in a 5.1 setup and also have the sub play out in stereo mode when listen to music.

I also am trying to find out if the the Yamaha RX-v661 has a setting so that it will allow you the choice for the the sub to work or not work when in 2 channel mode? I am setting up a 5.1 HT. I would like to have it on so that when I listen to music I get the bass sound.

My set up is:

BIC h-100 sub woofer
Polk R300 Tower fronts
polk r 150 satellites
Polk CSR center channel
All the things you mentioned can be set to your liking in the receiver setup section.

Nick

C

coolsat

Audiophyte
2 channel audio with sub

Hi,

For years I have been listening to 2 channel audio with sub using the following HT equipment
1. Adcom GTP 600 preamp
2. Adcom GFA 7500 AMP
3. Adcom GDD 1 surround sound processor
4. Vandersteen 1C's for front L/R, VCC-1 for center, V2W Subwoofer, VSMs as rear

My marantz cd player was connected to the GTP 600 and its stereo inputs were connected to the GDD1 along with its subout. The GDD 1 had a bypass mode that would just pass these signals to the amp/sub; Also the GTP 600 had a stereo bypass mode that would bypass all of the other dolby.. processing from the GTP 600. For 5.1 from my DVD player etc for home theater I'd just use the coaz connections to the GDD-1

Now I recently got into listening to SACDs/DVDA' and so decided to buy the NuForce AVP 16 processor/preamp. It has 5.1 analog inputs/outputs and a bypass mode that would just pass signals from my universal SACD/DVA Oppo 970HD. So I am using this in place of my GTP 600/GDD-1;

The problem now is I do not have the sub working for my 2 channel setup. The AVP 16 has a bypass mode that I use to bypass so that i can get good 2 channel audio. But I get no sub assist from the AVP anymore. if I engage any of the AVP's DTS/Dolby modes the sub works but the music does not sound as good. I have a pair of line outs (L/R) on the AVP and I tried connecting one of the line outs to the LFE of my V2W sub. But I still cannot get a sub signal.

any thoughts?

Coolsat

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis