Sub Upgrade Suggestions?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good sub to replace my Polk PSW350 with? Anamorphic had suggested the SVS PB12NSD for around $600, in addition to the HSU VTF-2MK3 at around $650, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on these models, or suggestions for any others in the "affordable" to "semi-affordable" range...

I'm looking for, obviously, wall-shattering bass, not specifically accurate LFE, and right now, my PSW350 is simply not cutting it -- I've had this sub for many years now, and when pushed too hard, it bottoms out with the nastiest popping snap you have ever heard.

I have heard great things about SVS and HSU, but are there any other brands I should be considering?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Can anyone recommend a good sub to replace my Polk PSW350 with? Anamorphic had suggested the SVS PB12NSD for around $600, in addition to the HSU VTF-2MK3 at around $650, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on these models, or suggestions for any others in the "affordable" to "semi-affordable" range...

I'm looking for, obviously, wall-shattering bass, not specifically accurate LFE, and right now, my PSW350 is simply not cutting it -- I've had this sub for many years now, and when pushed too hard, it bottoms out with the nastiest popping snap you have ever heard.

I have heard great things about SVS and HSU, but are there any other brands I should be considering?
SVS is the theater king IMO. I'd go that route.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want raw SPL's, try this sucker out, the Elemental Designs A5-350. You are probably not going to find more output per dollar. The Hsu Research VTF3 mk3 will also get enormously loud in max output mode, although it sacrifices some deep bass extension to do that. I would take either of those over the VTF2 or PB12, and they do not cost that much more. If you are willing to spend a bit more, look up the Epik Empire.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
If you want raw SPL's, try this sucker out, the Elemental Designs A5-350. You are probably not going to find more output per dollar. The Hsu Research VTF3 mk3 will also get enormously loud in max output mode, although it sacrifices some deep bass extension to do that. I would take either of those over the VTF2 or PB12, and they do not cost that much more. If you are willing to spend a bit more, look up the Epik Empire.
Thanks a lot for the opinion and suggestions, shady! I shall add the Elemental Designs, HSU and Epik Empire to my list...

Please, keep the suggestions coming! :)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Shady pretty much summed it up. I personally like HSU subs myself as they find a good balance between HT and Music, but the comparable SVS and eD will belt out a bit more bass down low overall.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That pretty much sums up what I would recommend in the price range as well. The only other thought might be dual Emotiva Ultra 10s @$269 ea. or Ultra 12s @ $359 ea. while they are still on sale.

I've previously owned both SVS and HSU and you can't really go wrong with either. Between those two, they are going to be pretty close in perofrmance IMO.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
I have to throw my support for eD, as I'm loving my a7s-650 (diy route). I owned the a3-300 first, and can't say a bad thing about it, I just wanted more output, and I think the nature of a sealed sub seems to integrate better with my mains. Anyhow, the a3-300 would be the equivalent of SVS' PB12-NSD; I doubt there's much of a difference.

But anyways, check out eD and definitely give them a call. They were very helpful with helping me make a decision. You may have a little longer wait time with them though, but the quality is there that's for sure.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Shady pretty much summed it up. I personally like HSU subs myself as they find a good balance between HT and Music, but the comparable SVS and eD will belt out a bit more bass down low overall.
Indeed, 'mat; it seems like the concensus is what Shady is offering -- I have put all these suggestions on my list. :)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
That pretty much sums up what I would recommend in the price range as well. The only other thought might be dual Emotiva Ultra 10s @$269 ea. or Ultra 12s @ $359 ea. while they are still on sale.

I've previously owned both SVS and HSU and you can't really go wrong with either. Between those two, they are going to be pretty close in perofrmance IMO.
Thanks, J. I think SVS, HSU and ED are the ones I've narrowed it down to...

I know of Emotiva's amps...but how are their subs?

Here's another stipulation I thought of off the top of my head...I think I would definitely like to go larger than a 10" model, as that's what I have been running for many years, and get into a 12 or even 15" driver, if possible. Further, should I be looking a two subs -- or sub cabinets that have dual drivers in them?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Kind of if you are looking at bang for the buck.

If you have no woodworking skills- by the time you get a good driver, a good amp, an EQ, a way to turn the sub amp on and off and you pay someone to build a nice box, you are getting close to the price of an ID sub company.

Through my experience and I have had a lot of subs in my room (form one of the best DIY subs I have ever heard to the top of the line consumer subs); you can get 90% of the performance out of a consumer sub and it will cost about 10% more than a DIY.

Will a well built DIY blow a Submersive or a PB13U out of the water...no...but one would best it by a small %.

It all matters what you are looking for. At this stage, I like simple plug and play subs.
Because he built his own.

DIY subs as a rule blow commercial subs out of the water.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Kind of if you are looking at bang for the buck.

If you have no woodworking skills- by the time you get a good driver, a good amp, an EQ, a way to turn the sub amp on and off and you pay someone to build a nice box, you are getting close to the price of an ID sub company.

Through my experience and I have had a lot of subs in my room (form one of the best DIY subs I have ever heard to the top of the line consumer subs); you can get 90% of the performance out of a consumer sub and it will cost about 10% more than a DIY.

Will a well built DIY blow a Submersive or a PB13U out of the water...no...but one would best it by a small %.

It all matters what you are looking for. At this stage, I like simple plug and play subs.
There is no doubt the financial commitment is less for DIY(if you exclude the tools), but the effort required is significant and often understated by hobbyists.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Lots of good suggestions and info here. This may be of some help to you as well:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54876

-------AND-------

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54877

There I think you will find some useful information. In addition, I would like to recommend another sub to you. It can be found here:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Dr. Hsu had a big hand in the design as well. If you have any questions, then feel free to shoot me a PM. I will be glad to assist you. Most importantly, good luck in your final decision. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Lots of good suggestions and info here. This may be of some help to you as well:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54876

-------AND-------

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54877

There I think you will find some useful information. In addition, I would like to recommend another sub to you. It can be found here:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Dr. Hsu had a big hand in the design as well. If you have any questions, then feel free to shoot me a PM. I will be glad to assist you. Most importantly, good luck in your final decision. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil
Hey Phil!

Thanks so much for the suggestions here, buddy! I appreciate them; the links you provided lended some insight -- your first link in which you rate the SVS I was thinking of a 4++ is interesting; this thing is that much of a beast, huh? Do you think I would need two subs using this thing -- and do you concur with the member who believed the SVS will outshake my current Polk PSW350?

And I wouldn't have even thought of considering an Outlaw; how does it stack up against the SVS's and HSU's?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Another characteristic I am looking for in a new sub -- and I am uncertain if it's something that can be achieved at all at such a budget, if at all period -- is that "chest-pounding" effect in which the air seems to be sucked out of a room during very loud transients -- that sort of "King Kong is breathing on your chest" effect; is this possible with any of the subs mentioned?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis