Sub time! Dayton? Monoprice? Bic F12? Doc Brown's amp? 10"? 12"?

W

Wakko

Enthusiast
I've been reading lots of threads on here and learned ALOT about powered subs. Two weeks ago I decided to sell my spare TV for $250 and put the money into a new HTIB setup to replace my '99 Sharp. Now I've got the HK AVR-1700, Pioneer SP-C22, and a pair of FS52s on their way in. Room is carpeted with 12 foot ceilings, about 16 feet deep by 12-14 feet into the dining area. The Monoprice doesn't seem like a good option, as it's $146 shipped. Dayton 12 is $129 plus $20 for FedEx or $15 for econo shipping. 10" is $109. Bic F12 is $186 shipped through Amazon.

I plan on having this system for a long time, and eventually added the Pioneer 22s as satellite speakers. Might be in a week, might be in a couple months. I don't usually listen to the system with a very high volume, but sometimes like to crank up the Call of Duty, action movies, or the stereo. I REALLY want to be able to cook Comfortably Numb and Turhan Yükseler - Ayışığı Sonatı (look it up, has an awesome bass track). 10" woofer enough? 12" That much better? I'm leaning towards the F12 right now, but am open to any other suggestions ya'll have. Trying to stay at or under $200.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I stronly doubt that anyone here (or anywhere, for that matter) has actually listened to all of these to make a really valid comparison and any feedback you get will be based on reading the specs.

I do have te BIc and can say this: For $200 it's hard to beat.

It does go down to 30hz strongly and cleanly with no problem. I question their 25 hz spec.

It can be a bit boomy if stuck in a corner or against a wall so keep that rear port as far away from the wall/corner as possible.

This is not to say it's flawed. These are merely observations fro living with it. I'm sure the other subs have "idiosynchronicities" their promotional materials don't mention. too.

Was it worth what I paid? Definitely, and more. Of course, given another few hundred I'd be looking at Hsu and SVS.

[edit]Oh, I found this review should it interest you.

Last edited:
W

Wakko

Enthusiast
How's the Mirage Omni 8? Best Buy local has it on clearance for $200.

W

Wakko

Enthusiast
Ok, I ordered the BIC F12 even though it's too big for my living room. Had to buy the wife a new Dyson to balance it out tho. :)

W

Wakko

Enthusiast
Got the new sub in today and hooked it up...it definitely finds anything loose in my house and rattles the hell out of it! Now to figure out how to set it up. On certain things the bass is too low, on others it's too powerful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis