B

Bambus

Enthusiast
Hi, I just find out that you can build a sub that will surpass commercial subs like SVS and others for fraction of the cost.

I looked into components and came up with this:

Amp - Behringer EP1500 = $150

Driver - SoundSplitter RL-p 15" = #250

BOX - 6" ported downfiring box, tuned to 15hz. = $100 materials

What do you thing o fhte components and looking for any suggestions.

Thnx

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Im still on the fence about building a box vs. buying. Ive got 100$ off of AV123 an a 10% of at SVS. My budget is about $700. I was waiting for AV123 to start production building of their new MFW-15 and the UFW -12 Hot Rod and pick from one of those. I wanted to see the results of some tests from people using each of these and then make my decision. Prior to winning these two contests, I was set on a DIY sub. The parts you had listed were the same (except I was looking at the 2500 Behringer amp). I could not decide on a design (could not find too many designs, just volumes of the box, and port dimentions and length). I didnt want the look of a monster sonos sub, and the box I needed to build for the SS was HUGE at approx 350 liters. same 6" port at 28" long. Could still do it, but I only have a few tools at my disposal.

I will be watching this thread to see some results. I havent ruled out DIY but Ive got a couple of months waiting for these two subs from AV123 to start shipping. If I get the itch, I will go DIY. Please keep posting as you go along. If someone konws of a detailed design with the SS RL-p 15, or has a link to one, please post. I would like to do some more research.

DIY-$680...This would put me a little below my budget of $700
Behringer 2500 amp-$250
SS RL-p 15" sub-$280
Box & materials-$100
Misc (shipping tax etc)- $50

MFW-15- $550 after discount shipped

Hot Rod- Price to be determined

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Indeed. You can easily build a sub of far higher technical performance for the dollar vs. retail. For the ultimate in performance, you really don't have to spend that much: A JL Audio W7 driver(or other similar premium level driver with extraordinary linearity), P.A. amp and a parametric equalizer = premium level device that would cost you thousands of dollars if you purchased the equivalent at retail. I am not aware of the actual performance measurements of motor/suspension linearity of the Sound Splinter driver referenced above, there for I can not comment on this device. The JL Audio W7 driver is verified by 3rd party measurements to be an extraordinarily linear device with high excursion/incursion capability. So is the Adire Tumult, for example. If you want the level of high linearity, but lower absolute SPL limit(but still very high SPL ability) you can go with a discontinued driver that has been verified to be of very high linearity that can be purchased for very low prices as a consequence of being discontinued. Such an example is the Infinity Kappa Perfect subwoofers. The 12" for example, used to sell for about $220-$250 each 3 years ago. But now, you can find clearance sales for as low as $90(lowest I have seen so far). For some relative perspective, a 12" Kappa Perfect in a sealed enclosure will exceed the SPL vs. distortion performance of a Velodyne DD-12, and nearly match the performance of the DD-15, according to objective 3rd party measurements. Place the Kappa Perfect in a proper ported design, and it should easily exceed the performance of the DD-15 below 40Hz, in terms of SPL. Going to drivers such as the JL W7 and Adire Tumult provides performance well and beyond what is even typical for a premium line such as the Velodyne DD series, when comparing equivalent diameter woofer models between brands.

-Chris

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis