Sub suggestion for music

C

casual

Enthusiast
I need a sub for a 13x13 room. Mainly using it for music (80's rock, reggae, ska). I like a decent amount of bass also. Looking for suggestions around( or under) $500

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Very tiny room! The Epik Legend and Emotiva Ultra 12 sound perfect for you!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
+1....

A single 12 should do very nicely in there....

Another option If I may suggest, SVS makes a really good quality driver for their subs and if you bump your budget a touch - the power and extra SQ is worth the stretch...

The SB12 NSD should be quite impressive for both moderate HT and excellent for music...
Gloss Black for the same price as flat black...

http://www.svsound.com/images/subdetailpics/SB12nsd_pgb_front_wgrill_hr.jpg

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
All good suggestions so far, can't disagree with any! I've got the SB12-NSD myself and love it but I'd love to hear the other two subs mentioned.

M

mratek

Audiophyte
+1 for the Emotiva Ultra 12 sounds great with music in my 18x22 room.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
All good suggestions so far, can't disagree with any! I've got the SB12-NSD myself and love it but I'd love to hear the other two subs mentioned.
Just for $hits and giggles I clicked on the ship calc....
Gave me $36.00 to Milwaukee ISH....

My boy still has the original sb12 and that little number still pounds and sounds pretty darn good for the money... I was extremely impressed with that little number - my first sealed sub, and truly changed my opinion about the intricacies of how bass should be delivered.... SEALED FTW !!!!!!

Moved on to the JL F112 and then - well you guys all know my long deranged path of builds leading up to the infamous LMS monsters...

Looking forward to hearing the new SB13 and upcoming Neo Magnet SB16 when they come avail...

M

mratek

Audiophyte
Holy crap Warpdrv that setup you have is incredible. To have a budget to cover that must be nice.:D

C

christo

Audiophyte
I'm useing an SVS PB 10 NSD in a 16' x 10' room and it fills it nicely. I paid 600 + tax CAN. but I believe you can get them for around 500 in the states. Its fast and sounds great with many genres of music and it has punch you can feel in your chest. It works well with movies too should you decide to use it for that later on. The only down side is they dont have an internal crossover. It isnt a problem for me since my AVR has one, you'd have to pick up an external crossover to use with an integrated or pre amp. It has a rather large footprint too, but the lows its capable of delivering more than makes up for it.

Attachments

Last edited:
HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
I'll add another vote for the SVS SB12-NSD. Mine was delivered last week and I'm very happy with it so far (in a similarly sized room).

C

christo

Audiophyte
quit raving about the sealed 12 do you guys actually have one, honest, the 10 goes down 10 12-15 hz efficiently and realisticly, I owned sb12's too and the 10 sounds better to me. read up on that sub i replaced a 1400 dollar sub with the 10 and never looked back

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
quit raving about the sealed 12 do you guys actually have one, honest, the 10 goes down 10 12-15 hz efficiently and realisticly, I owned sb12's too and the 10 sounds better to me. read up on that sub i replaced a 1400 dollar sub with the 10 and never looked back
The PB10-NSD is a nice sub as well, but quite a bit larger, and that could be a problem for the OP with his relatively small room.

Here's the response chart for the PB10-NSD; I don't see a whole lot of bass in the 12-15Hz region...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The PB10-NSD is a nice sub as well, but quite a bit larger, and that could be a problem for the OP with his relatively small room.

Here's the response chart for the PB10-NSD; I don't see a whole lot of bass in the 12-15Hz region...
No question the PB10 is a good performer, but you can't beat the laws of physics - a 10" driver can only move so much air, and getting sub 20hz from them is tough. Thats when you want and need to step up to a 12" or larger driver....

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
first post. Hello everyone

hello. Just wanted to chime in here. I also highly recommend the SVS SB12NSD. It performs wonderful with music but also handles HT well considering it's size. I get good response in the 20Hz range in room and decent impact when compared to my much bigger PB12plus.

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
I don't mean to be a jerk off but when you make a blatantly false statement like this this, it will be hard for people to take anything else you say seriously. Everyone knows what they have is best.

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
Everyone knows what they have is best.
Well I certainly don't think what I have is best... but for the price maybe.

I went with the Emo Ultra12, actually two of them since they were on sale and with the added $50 off it was a nit over $800 for both. I've done a little critical listening with just one and with both running. In a room your size I wouldn't have bothered with a second one possibly - but having heard multiples... now I can't see listening to anything (even 2ch music) without at least 2 subs.

I don't care about the wider dispersal as much (it's just my wife and I so there's really no problem with both of us sitting in the sweet spot) - but it's the dynamics that really make the difference. If I had twice the budget I allowed myself... then I probably could have gotten by with a single 15" with 1kW or more on tap and not ever known different. I have a somewhat larger room that opens to two larger spaces - but I run my subs barely over the first line on the gain dial... and they can easily hit peaks ~100db at that - which is all I require as I don't like to play for the whole neighborhood, and it's very smooth and 'invisible' - i.e. sounds like I have monstrous towers in the room rather than small standmounts. :)

I'm sure that SVS will sound sweet as well - maybe even a little more dynamic. In any case, I wouldn't bother with a 10" - after all, you might move in the future and with a good sub (or 2)... it should still be running strong.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the 12" offerings from SVS, Emotiva, HSU, etc... but I agree with sealed being the way to go. I've only had ported subs until I bought the Ultra12's and now I can't hear them as being anything other than 'sloppy' (ported subs I mean). Granted I didn't own anything very high-end that was ported, so I can't really make a blanket statement to that effect.

The really nice thing about subs is that you can pretty much just shop by specs, FR charts, and word of mouth... there's not nearly as much subjective analysis required as there is for loudspeakers. Either the bass is there at a specific frequency or it's not... timbre doesn't come into play at these levels so it's more a matter of how low and how lound you want it to be. And how much you're willing to spend to get there. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis