M

mhamer

Enthusiast
I have a MK V75 sub I've been using it for the last 12 years and never quite understood the knobs on the back. I have played with them but i cant make out any discernible difference. I hope someone can help me out with this.

One knob is Low Pass Filter (Hz) with numbers ranging from 50 to 125.

The other Bass Level Reference with levels from -6dB to +9dB.

Where should I have these set to?

Thank you.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
For most setups, you'd disable the low pass filter or set it as high as it can go (125Hz) and let your receiver handle bass management. Assuming the Bass Level Reference is a fancy way of saying "Gain", that's just to help level match with the rest of your speakers.

M

mhamer

Enthusiast
I read this article "How To Set Up a Subwoofer (or Subwoofers) for Home Theater", and I'm still confused. My speakers are rated for 90Hz - 20,000Hz +/-3dB, should I have the crossover on the sub set to 125? The receiver is set at 80Hz as the crossover point. Should I raise it to 90 or 100?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
should I have the crossover on the sub set to 125?
Yes. You want the XO on the sub bypassed as much as possible.

The receiver is set at 80Hz as the crossover point. Should I raise it to 90 or 100?
It doesn't hurt anything to test it out and see if you hear a difference. Did you run an auto-calibration system like Audyssey to get 80Hz at the receiver, or was that just the default setting?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you should raise the x-over to 100Hz in the receiver for those speakers. The crossover on your sub does not matter, so the highest setting is correct (as mentioned by Steve) because your receiver is performing the crossover already, providing the speakers are connected directly to the receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That means they have enough output below 90Hz to handle a 80Hz x-over then, so it should be fine.

M

mhamer

Enthusiast
Got it' I'll set the crossover to 125Hz and let Audyssey handle the rest. Now I just need to figure out the "Bass Level Reference".

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I wanna say -9, but I'll have to look that up tomorrow to be sure.
If that's the case, you could turn up the level on the subwoofer a few notches and re-run Audyssey to get closer to the 0 mark on the receiver. I don't know that it'd make any world of difference though since you're not at the limits of the receiver's ability to cut.

M

mhamer

Enthusiast
Steve, from your responses it makes me think that the Bass Level Reference is just a fancy name for volume? Is that right?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Steve, from your responses it makes me think that the Bass Level Reference is just a fancy name for volume? Is that right?
That's my assumption, especially if there isn't any other volume/gain knob.

Edit:

Judging by this picture, that should be the case.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis