sub recommendations for new setup

H

heathramos

Audiophyte
the setup in my family room is now annoying me enough to have to start thinking about replacing it.

not sure how much detail I should put in this post. I probably should just say about how much I want to spend and leave it at that but I will explain a few things first. feel free to skip ahead.

My current family room setup:

Panasonic 50" plasma connected to a Bose Lifestyle 5 system. I also have a ps3, popcorn hour a-110 and directv hd dvr, which means I have to connect the bose system to an optical switch box along with all of those devices. So not only the sound not that great but the switch sometimes go from one device to the next when on auto. highly irritating.

Family room dimensions:

room is 23ft wide and 18ft deep. (my tv is 10ft from the couch, btw). It is an open area so while the family room is only 18ft from the tv wall, the kitchen is behind the family room (no wall inbetween) and it's wall is another 12 ft behind it. when it comes to actual walls, the room is 23ft by 30 ft.

My thoughts on it:

The set up in my bedroom isn't bad and I want to parallel some of it. I have an Onyko sr606 receiver in my bedroom and like it because of the hdmi switching and support of hd audio formats (I stream a lot of hd movie files). I am leaning toward getting the onkyo sr607 or rc160. I have the Polk Audio rm6750 speakers in my bedroom and while I do like them for a smaller room, I wouldn't want them in an open area. I might get the same left/right/back speakers (polk audio rm6751) and upgrade the center and sub. The polk audio cs10 sounds interesting for the center but not sure about the sub. I have read that the svs pb10 or pb12 are nice subs but it starts to get expensive. not sure yet if I want to spend $600 on a sub.

any suggestions?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
That's a decent size room so you'll likely need to spend $600. Epik makes great subs, but the only one in that range is the Vanquish which is a bit more geared towards music. A ported SVS or eD will do the job. HSU also makes great subs which are a bit more musical.

H

heathramos

Audiophyte
That's a decent size room so you'll likely need to spend $600. Epik makes great subs, but the only one in that range is the Vanquish which is a bit more geared towards music. A ported SVS or eD will do the job. HSU also makes great subs which are a bit more musical.
would the svs pb10 be enough for my size room?

do these things ever go on sale?

should I monitor the price for awhile or would that be a waste of time?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'd say go with the SVS PB12 or HSU VTF-2 MK 3.

A

Assaf09

Enthusiast
i love this sub.... i think you can audition it as well.

Velodyne VDR12

H

heathramos

Audiophyte
I am still leaning toward getting the svs pb12 but it is soo big

it would stick out pretty far from the wall

I wish it wasn't as deep

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
B-Stock SVS

would the svs pb10 be enough for my size room?

do these things ever go on sale?

should I monitor the price for awhile or would that be a waste of time?
Periodically they have B-Stock available that costs a lot less. B-stock has monor cosmetic flaw and is still perfect acoustically.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis