sub/receiver connection

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Where are you located? By the pics, there's no way to tell which receiver that actually is. A brand and model number would help. Just from what's provided, I would say no. The "sub" looks to be an amplifier for a 5.1 system. The 4ohm speaker connection is a bit puzzling to me as well. I would expect to see an 8 ohm rating here. Is this for a PC? If it is, what are you trying to accomplish?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Like JB said, that second picture is worthless. I can't read the labels on the jacks.

The only sub I can guarantee will work is one with speaker level input connections and you connect it with speaker wire.

[edit] That first picture is a "subwoofer"? I thought it was the back of a compact system. It's useless to you as a "Subwoofer" in anything except for use with the system it came with.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I'll admit...your question and photos seem pretty clear to me. :) That subwoofer/amp module from your LG home theater system could be used, but it's not straight forward (which is why you asked, I'm sure :D). If you don't live somewhere that uses 200-240V outlets, then it's probably more trouble than it's worth unless you already have a transformer.

I don't know the simple answer for directly connecting your receiver to the sub module. I've used a system like that by taking it apart and making my own connections. The trick is knowing which pins on that input connector are for the subwoofer signal. Do you have the controller for that LG system anymore? If you do, and if it has any analog audio inputs, you could hook the receiver to that controller, and then the controller to the sub module, and use it that way.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Adam, doesn't someone make a rca to din connector? I was hoping maybe his receiver would have that same din, but don't know which receiver it is. I was thinking that was an input on the LG. If the receiver did have the same din, would that work?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, doesn't someone make a rca to din connector? I was hoping maybe his receiver would have that same din, but don't know which receiver it is. I was thinking that was an input on the LG. If the receiver did have the same din, would that work?
People do make RCA to DIN adapters, but I don't know really much about them. I could research them, but...I'm old, lazy, and drinking. :eek: :D

I'd be really surprised if the OP's receiver has that same DIN connector. That sub/amp module came with some specialized controller that was sending signals for power, volume (I'm guessing), and all six (5.1) speakers. I'm sure it's possible to get it to work, but I'm not aware of a universal adapter that would do it. If the original controller exists, that'll be the easiest way to do it - the OP could use it just as a controller for the sub.

S

scummyone

Audiophyte
Sorry guys I can't remember the model number for the receiver it's a Yamaha haha sorry I can't be sure. But the reason I'm asking is because it was lying around the house was kinda hoping it would work with the receiver I bought. Unfortunately I don't have the controller for the sub. I was just hoping I might possibly be able to connect that 'system connector' to the 'sub' rca. Sorry guys I really don't know Jack about home audio. I'm just trying to set up a 5.1 surround system for the ol television.

S

scummyone

Audiophyte
If it won't connect or won't connect easily, can someone recommend a sub that will and possibly a place to purchase? Thanks heaps guys you're all very helpful! :)

Also I'm in South Australia.

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Since I have no clue what's available in your area, online internet direct. Check out SVS, Rhythmik. Depends on you're budget, which speakers your running, room size.

S

scummyone

Audiophyte
Thanks JB I'll look into it. I don't have a good set up speakers are **** but receiver is good. I'm broke as. Haha sort of why I was keen to see if that LG sub/amp could connect

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Been there, you might want to look into a package surround. Kind of along the lines of what the LG originally was. Probably the best sound out there on the cheap right now is the Pioneeer Andrew Jones setup. Order direct from Pioneer, 549.00 USD. 5.1 w/sub. Unbeatable at that price.

S

scummyone

Audiophyte
I think my receiver is the Yamaha rxv373 or something maybe without the v I dunno haha just that I spent a fair bit on that so want to keep it. It's a long story but I guess I'll just save my pennies til I can afford a good set up. Thanks for your help dude I understand it must be frustrating with noobs like myself.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I was a noob myself at one time. Depending on the situation, I sometimes still am. Peace.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis