F

FNG212

Audioholic
A buddy and I were looking at drivers for various applications. I was looking at stuff like T/S parameters and cone material (its a stick for me, no idea why). He just wanted to know how big all the magnets were on the drivers. I started to notice that magnet size/type was hardly listed on any driver details.

Is magnet size/type relevant at all? Do any of you take it into consideration when selecting drivers for a build? Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A buddy and I were looking at drivers for various applications. I was looking at stuff like T/S parameters and cone material (its a stick for me, no idea why). He just wanted to know how big all the magnets were on the drivers. I started to notice that magnet size/type was hardly listed on any driver details.

Is magnet size/type relevant at all? Do any of you take it into consideration when selecting drivers for a build? Thanks.
No. There is an inverse relationship between flux density and bass extension, and therefore efficiency, which is unfortunate, but that's the physics of it.

The Thiel/small parameters and linear cone extension are the crucial issues.

highfigh

highfigh

The weight of the magnet used to be a selling point but once enough people lost interest in knowing it, the manufacturers stopped making noise about it. It matters, but not so much when it's a woofer for most applications. It's part of the motor structure and is part of the design but, along with the voice coil, it's more important to the speaker's sensitivity than actual sound quality.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of magnets - I wonder how does Dayton's new Neodymium subwoofers affect the output or subwoofer enclosure design?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i believe the main benefit of neodymium is the size and weight (it's a lot smaller and lighter) ...

highfigh

highfigh

Speaking of magnets - I wonder how does Dayton's new Neodymium subwoofers affect the output or subwoofer enclosure design?
If they make one driver and use different magnets, the characteristics can be different. They're using neodymium on instrument and PA speakers quite a bit, with good results.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
With an Xmax of only 7mm I would look elsewhere for the same money offered.

AESpeakers has some amazingly designed products for not much more sporting 3 times more excursion and likely better control, even though they are not Neo magnets, it would be money spent better... Very efficient as well..
http://www.aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/

highfigh

highfigh

One of the reasons lighter speakers are becoming more popular is that for a live concert sound company or even just a local band, they can save a whole lot of money and/or effort in a short time by using the lighter option. Not only does it cost less for fuel, the rigging can be smaller, which adds to the fuel savings. The crew doesn't have to work as hard and that makes them last longer. Speaker sensitivity, excursion, etc can be built into the driver but live sound and in-home use are two completely different things.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis