Sub for Studio 20's ?

B

bmac

Audioholic
Hey, I just ordered new Paradigm speakers, and I was wondering if I should buy a new sub? I like my Outlaw, but I was looking at Axiom EP500. From what I read the EP500 dives deep!!!

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If you like your current sub, there is nothing about the 20s (I own a pair) the makes your old sub obsolete. Now if you just want to upgrade to bigger sub because you would like more impact there are many good ones to choose from and EP500 is one of them.

Nick

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
Velodyne 800R

I'm assuming with the size of your speakers the listening area isn't overly large.

As fast as the 20's
DSP setup with mic is great for a newbie like me.
Size for WAF (wife acceptance factor)
Remote...not to be underestimated when fine tuning for a movie and or music.
(I won't purchase another sub without one...DD12 is looking good :D )

Andreas

B

bmac

Audioholic
Andreas said:
I'm assuming with the size of your speakers the listening area isn't overly large.

As fast as the 20's
DSP setup with mic is great for a newbie like me.
Size for WAF (wife acceptance factor)
Remote...not to be underestimated when fine tuning for a movie and or music.
(I won't purchase another sub without one...DD12 is looking good :D )

Andreas
What the heck, slow down.

The room is 15x24, but because of a fireplace I'm force to use the room width wise.

I'm looking for opinion, if you had your way would you use the outlaw or Axiom? Is the sub change going to be worth it?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bmac said:
What the heck, slow down.

The room is 15x24, but because of a fireplace I'm force to use the room width wise.

I'm looking for opinion, if you had your way would you use the outlaw or Axiom? Is the sub change going to be worth it?
I don't have experience with either sub, but I can offer opinions on other subs. What is your budget?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bmac said:
My budget is about $1600.00.
Heck, with that you could get one monster sub. Have you looked at HSU, Velodyne, and I dare to mention, SVS? I would also look at M&K, I really like their subwoofers.

B

bmac

Audioholic
I just read good things about the EP500. I have looked at SVS & HSU. I have not compared the spec's yet.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bmac said:
I just read good things about the EP500. I have looked at SVS & HSU. I have not compared the spec's yet.
You really can't expect to really determine what sub is better by specifications, you must listen to them yourself, in your home, to determine what subs are best.

Do you listen to music or watch movies more frequently?

B

bmac

Audioholic
80/20 movies, I really don't know what to expect. We only have retail stores for home theater.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Seth=L said:
You really can't expect to really determine what sub is better by specifications, you must listen to them yourself, in your home, to determine what subs are best.

Do you listen to music or watch movies more frequently?
I disagree. Specifications, assuming they are accurate, are a good benchmark to determine performance. If a subwoofer measures -3dB at 30Hz, then it isn't going to produce subsonic bass in your room. Additionally, unless a sub has adaptive software or EQ, it won't integrate much differently than any other subwoofer. Placement, room acoustics, and crossover determine this.

Also, in regards to the original post, I think you would do well with an SVS or Hsu product. I think that they have a higher value than Axiom products. Comparing measurements on products leads me to believe that you can do better for the money with Axiom. I personally have a Hsu product, the STF-1. It does pretty well for its size and inherent limitations. With your budget, you could even afford two subwoofers. That would definitely give you a lot of bass, as well as make it easier to achieve flat response across the listening area.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bmac said:
80/20 movies, I really don't know what to expect. We only have retail stores for home theater.
SVS and Axiom both have 30 day return policies, and I believe that HSU does as well. HSU actually has some retail outlets.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
jaxvon said:
I disagree. Specifications, assuming they are accurate, are a good benchmark to determine performance. If a subwoofer measures -3dB at 30Hz, then it isn't going to produce subsonic bass in your room. Additionally, unless a sub has adaptive software or EQ, it won't integrate much differently than any other subwoofer. Placement, room acoustics, and crossover determine this.
Yes, I agree, it is a helpful guide. I may be wrong on this subject. I still think it is a good idea to test them in your home none the less, just so you know it is enough and you like the way it sounds. Some subs are difficult to place and all these things factor in whenyou have a sub in your home. Specifications can't tell you if the sub will be easy to place in your home, or if it will even sound right given room characteristics.

B

bmac

Audioholic
I really need a forgiving sub, my basement affects the placement of all things. My Outlaw sits near a wall five feet from the couch. I'm hoping the Paradigm helps.

M

modman

Audioholic
LFM-1 Great with Studio 20's

I have three Studio 20's (one for center), with the Outlaw LFM-1 sitting in the corner of a 15x15 room. And this system SINGS, baby! On music, I hear a low end that is clean, clear, and not forced. On movies, it can curdle your guts.

I have friends that have much more expensive systems, with much larger and costlier subs -- and when they hear my system, they always get a funny look on their face. (But I think they also have not taken the time to balance their systems).

So, for me, the LFM-1 is a good match!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis