Sub blowing new fuses - Did my AMP go bad?

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
I have an Elemental Designs A2-300 that may have finally went south.

Last weekend it was doing its thing and all of a sudden it went off. Pulled the fuse and it was blown. I ordered some fuses off ebay from a US company and when I install them and power on the amp it blows. It doesn't blow right when I put it in and turn it on, it's as soon as the amp wakes up from the signal. It goes green and then fades off.

My first guess is junk ebay fuses? They are the same rating and also claim "slow blow". If this is a possibilty where do I get a real fuse? Is there such a thing as a better fuse? I tried the local hardware stores and they had every fuse except that size. Which is why I ended up on ebay.

My second guess is the amp finally burned out or an electrical fault? If so can I swap this one out and continue to use the enclosure and driver? What would you recommend?

sub link.

Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer Unboxing | Chris Hemp

Thanks in advance.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Do a little measuring and check parts express for an amp, I would imagine that even a slow blow fuse is going to blow.... I had an amp that I thought was faulty fuses to I put stronger fuse {higher amp} and it just caused smoke after a while...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Do a little measuring and check parts express for an amp, I would imagine that even a slow blow fuse is going to blow.... I had an amp that I thought was faulty fuses to I put stronger fuse {higher amp} and it just caused smoke after a while...
If you keep blowing a fuse.......it means something is wrong/broken/shorted/fried.

IMC, guess some people have to learn that the hard way :D:p

In the future for fuses, try Radio Shack, or even better Fry's (if you have one nearby).

If you don't have those, online you can't beat Mouser's selection for pretty much any electronic component
Industrial & Electrical Fuses | Mouser
[url]http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=18952918

[/URL]

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Seems to me that amps it dead. Wrap aluminium foil around the fuse and check it out like that. Warning: When it starts smoking make sure you unplug it real quick, it will catch on fire. If not the amp the driver sure will. Anyway you look at it, I think the goose is cooked. I would disconnect the driver first.

Last edited:
M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the answers. I figured it was toast. I think I got it back in 09-10 so it served me well.

As for replacing the amp what do I look for? I don't want to spend to much considering I bought the thing for 350 bucks.

I guess this gives me a reason to start putting some pennies aside for a bigger better sub and use this one in another room. :D

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the answers. I figured it was toast. I think I got it back in 09-10 so it served me well.

As for replacing the amp what do I look for? I don't want to spend to much considering I bought the thing for 350 bucks.

I guess this gives me a reason to start putting some pennies aside for a bigger better sub and use this one in another room. :D

Biggest issue will be finding a replacement with the right plate dimensions. It's not a servo amp, is it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis